Stevie-eff
Stevie-eff Posts: 36
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Is the XTR stuff worth the extra money?

Looking at rear mechs, brakes and cassettes

At the moment i am running on REAR MECH Shimano Deore Shadow 9-speed SGS cage,
CASSETTE Shimano 9-speed 11-34t
BRAKES Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake 160mm G2 6-bolt rotors

Will i notice a difference upgrading to either?

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    To be honest my experience with Shimano gear is that it all works very well it just gets lighter as it gets more expensive. I've got XT/XTR on my Kona and it works great, my Lappierre has only got SLX but I don't ever notice a difference in the function but as above I'm sure it's a bit heavier. Depends how much money you have to throw at it really.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    In my opinion the XTR is not worth the extra money. It is basically just lighter than the XT and it takes a real weight weenie to want t spend the extra £100s just to lose a few hundred grams. The XT is more than fine for your everyday rider, even the SLX stuff is real good. And now that the new 2013 SLX and XT has the Clutch mechanism on the rear mech, I really can't see a reason to buy an XTR one.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you can afford it and want it, buy it. It is better, some bits more so like the shifters.
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    The price hike from XT to XTR really doesn't justify the performance increase in my opinion. it will be lighter for sure, and some bits, like the new trail brakes, are very nice but most components are not significantly better than XT equivalent though you'll sometimes pay twice the price. Also things like mechs and cassettes don's last forever so the replacement cost doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get 2 or 3 XT mechs for the price of one XTR

The only parts I would consider going XTR are probably brakes and shifters.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cassette: no. It's lighter, but less durable as it uses ti sprockets for the largest 5 and X.0 and XX are still lighter (if even more expensive). I'd only do it if it's a mental build and the rest of your transmission is brand new.

Shifters: I think so, they last absolutely years and do feel better than XT IMO

Rear mech: probably not if you make a habit of clouting mechs on rocks! I find they last ages (jockey wheels notwithstanding).
  • Thanks for the advice folks.

Think i will g for the XT stuff then. Brakes first, then rear mech. I have already upgraded to SLX shifters from acera's. Not going to bother with the front mech though as i hardly ever use it, just not worth the expense.