Recommend me a saddle - MTB

spdpug98
spdpug98 Posts: 112
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Following my recent thread about my creaking saddle viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12871612 I thought I had sorted it, but after a ride on Thursday and one tonight it is back worse than ever

I have seen a thread on here before recommending a good value saddle but couldn't find it on the search, does anyone have any recommendations - will be used on a Cube Ltd Race

Comments

• Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    Standard responce seems to be a charge spoon, very good value, I have a madison flux which is pretty much the same as the spoon only a quid or so cheaper. Very confortable for me, but everyone's different.
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A Charge Spoon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • spdpug98
    That was the one.....Thanks
  • Dave_Lee
    Dave_Lee Posts: 17
    Ive just bought a charge spoon, and I am very pleased with it. But everyone is different and what suits one person will not suit another.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What Dave said, I've got a spoon and I find it quite comfortable but it really does depend on the rider. Mind you, they're quite cheap to pick up so you're not going to lose too much money if it's not right for you.
  • cooldad
    Wiggle had some for £15.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I changed to a Charge Spoon on my hardtail and it suits me on that, however the Selle Italia X1 that came as standard on my FS feels even better. I got my Charge for £15, if you don't like it sell it for a tenner.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    SDG Bel Air
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Saddle choice is quite a personnel thing; however,

A good starting point is to measure your sit bone width (the protrusions at the bottom of your pelvis). These must be properly supported in order for them to effectively take your body weight.
    Lay a piece of kitchen foil on a cushion and sit on it, try to emulate your ride poison with regards to the angle of your back. Carefully sit up and measure between the two deepest depressions in the foil. This is roughly your sit-bone width. Aim for a saddle that is slightly larger than this. Too large and you risk thigh chafing so it's a compromise.

There are other factors such as overall shape and materials, but this should set you in the right direction.

Specialized, Fizik and Selle Itialia to name a few all do saddles in various widths.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • cooldad
    If I try that with tinfoil it will just make a huge pudding shape.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Saddle choice is quite a personnel thing; however,

A good starting point is to measure your sit bone width (the protrusions at the bottom of your pelvis). These must be properly supported in order for them to effectively take your body weight.
    Lay a piece of kitchen foil on a cushion and sit on it, try to emulate your ride poison with regards to the angle of your back. Carefully sit up and measure between the two deepest depressions in the foil. This is roughly your sit-bone width. Aim for a saddle that is slightly larger than this. Too large and you risk thigh chafing so it's a compromise.

There are other factors such as overall shape and materials, but this should set you in the right direction.

Specialized, Fizik and Selle Itialia to name a few all do saddles in various widths.

I've never heard that before but it makes perfect sense, definitely a good starting point for saddle choice!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Some Spesh dealers have a special gel type tool for measuring sit bone width, a bit easier thatn foil! Back OT I can't get on with Spoons, have finally found a good fit after trying loads and this was a Specialized Phenom. The cutaway really works for me and stops my bits going numb.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • spdpug98
    Just placed an order for the Spoon...will wait and see how it is - Thanks for all the advice
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Another horse that is going to go thirsty.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • handful wrote:
    Some Spesh dealers have a special gel type tool for measuring sit bone width, a bit easier thatn foil!
    The 'special tool' is simply a squishy gel pad you sit on then measure between the depressions, exactly the same as the foil method.

Anyone know how wide the spoon is? Not much info on there website.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • spdpug98
    My new saddle arrived today, all fitted and will be trying it out later - hopefully its comfy, it looks identical to the standard Cube one I've taken off