Cycling in South London

Soong
Soong Posts: 21
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm getting a new bike on Tuesday. My first ever road bike, hurrah!

I live near Brixton and today, driving about, I realised cycling around here is probably quite horrible. There's Richmond Park which is probably a 30min cycle so that's one option but are there any cycling gems around here that I don't know about? Or somewhere to go to find them?

Thanks.

Comments

• nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    Not many. Richmond Park is full of cyclists, so good, because the drivers expect swarms of two wheeled road users.

Apart from that you'll need to head out of town (via Crystal Palace or Croydon). To find any nice county lanes.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Best bet is to join a cycling club, then you can hunt in a pack.
  • got loads of rides if you head out towards croydon, reigate, box hill, chipstead is a good loop. Or head to warlingham, titsye hill will test you out. let us know where you find ...
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I live in Tooting and the best place, and closest, to ride is Richmond Park. It's a good environment for cyclists and has a mixture of short steep climbs, false flats, descents and a bit of space for flat out sprints - but it does get very busy even early in the morning. Plus you'll have the excitement of riding some of SW London's finest roads there and back :roll:
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Get on a train outta there! Get a good route to Clapham Junction then find the countryside!
  • Head out to Dulwich / Selsdon way? Roads get better as you head away from the built up areas - same here for me in Wimbledon, I go to Dorking but have also done Coulsdon etc.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think if you head out south east you hit country roads the quickest... From Crystal Palace where a lot of clubs meet and ride from, you can be out in the country in about 30 mins or less...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.