Wheelset suggestion for Specialized Camber

Lammy83
Lammy83 Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I’m currently looking for a new wheelset for my Specialized Camber in the region of about £330.

I mostly ride Cannock Chase and Dark Peak area. My mates all have hope pro 2 evo hubs on either Mavic or DT Swiss rims and rave about them.

What rim combo on a pair of hope hubs would best suit my Camber?

I would also like something that is future proof for when the time comes to upgrade the bike by either a custom build or stock bike.
Any advice/suggestions would be greatly received.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What wheels do you have at the minute?
  • Lammy83
    Hi Supersonic, currently running DT Swiss 420SL. They have been pretty decent wheels, but since going to Wales have had nothing but issues with them.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Stans Arch EX/Crest/Flow on Superstar Hubs.

A gram or two heavier than Hopes, but futureproof and cheap, £200 last time I looked.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^ Good advice that.
  • Lammy83
    Have you had any experience with these hubs? Can they deal with the British weather and are they easily serviceable?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    My mates all have hope pro 2 evo hubs on either Mavic or DT Swiss rims and rave about them.

I have Hope Pro 2 hubs with DT Swiss XR-400 rims, and while not raving as such, I do like them. And I can't think how they're not "future proof", unless you get the version with straight-pull spokes
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Future proof probably means being able to fit different axle sizes. Which the superstar ones can do, I think Hope ones can too.

I've got the SS hubs on my commuter which has done about a thousand miles, at least half of that on those wheels and they're fine. The freehub doesn't seem like the toughest thing in the world, the cassette is biting into it a bit, but then it's a cheap road cassette. Hopes are exactly the same though, that's why you have to use a XT level or above cassette with them, the spider protects the freehub.

If/when the bearings go it looks pretty easy to knock the old ones out and press (cheap) new ones in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Think my SS wheels came to about £350;

White ArchEX, Trizoid AM/DH rear, Switch EVO front, white double butted spokes and red nipples. Very impressed with them so far
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...but that £200 deal is seriously tempting me...a set of Flows would go very well on the NP Snap :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm using Mavic XM719 rims on Superstar switch evo hubs. They are great.
    This is my third set of Superstar hubs & I have had no problems, their builds are pretty good.
    Never had Stans rims but every set of Mavic rims I have had has been solid, well made, nicely finished and lasted for years.