first trail complete

HaydenJ
HaydenJ Posts: 29
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
just got back from doing the Kitchener at Sherwood pines and I feel epic! I know its not the most technical of trails but it was my first on.

my question now is, how technically different is Dalby red route to the Kitchener at sherwood?

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I took my GF round the Kitchener and Red route on a 50 quid bike!!!.............. the difference from that to dalby....... well let's just say a teeny weeny bit!!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Dave_Lee
    Dave_Lee Posts: 17
    I did my first trail last week at Whinlatter, I loved both the North and South red loops. Although I enjoyed the South the most. I will be going again very soon.
  • Eyeballs
    Eyeballs Posts: 22
    Dalby is very different to Sherwoord. The first few sections of Sherwood are nice and 'swoopy' - and there are some bits like that at Dalby - when you get round to them! It has a lot more technical features, tight turns, steps/jump offs, some long climbs!

Dalby isnt to everyones liking - but if you enjoyed Sherwood & fancy something tricker and more technical (Put your MTB & skills to the test!) go for it.

I prefer Dalby over Sherwood, but its each to their own!

Just remember to take a first aid kit, some spares (Tube, chain, hanger etc) as it can be a bit of a bike braker (or maybe thats just me!)
  • HaydenJ
    HaydenJ Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info. think i'll give Sherwood a few more goes and build up some fitness/confidence/ability before trying anything tricky, plus the fact that I enjoyed it.

can anyone suggest somewhere around or close to Yorkshire that will be a good next step without trashing myself and my bike? :wink:
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    HaydenJ wrote:
    Thanks for the info. think i'll give Sherwood a few more goes and build up some fitness/confidence/ability before trying anything tricky, plus the fact that I enjoyed it.

can anyone suggest somewhere around or close to Yorkshire that will be a good next step without trashing myself and my bike? :wink:

Lee quarry in Bacup is pretty decent...... worth spending a day there to cover all the single track........ nothing too tricky
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    I'm in exactly the same boat HaydenJ! Just pulled my old Mantra out of the shed and went to Sherwood Pines with a mate and loved it. Looking for something different before I progress to Dalby, I've been warned its a big step!
  • albus16
    albus16 Posts: 18
    I'm in the same boat as you both andhr and Haydenj! Just got back into MTB and did the red route at Sherwood Pines to test out my new bike. I really enjoyed it but realised I am a lot less fit than I thought!

Pines gets a lot of bad press as far as I can see but as you have both implied, it can be great fun for newbies honing their skills. Having been twice now, I can see that a couple more goes (trying to convince a mate to come) and I will be yearning for something more challenging but for now it is ideal to build my confidence and fitness.

I would personally recommend the Kitchener trail for anyone near Notts (clearly don't travel a long way for it) who is new to riding and wants something more challenging than local bridleways!

Also just wondering, did either of you (or has anybody else) had much experience of the 'Bike Park' down at Sherwood? I planned on going to have a look and see if it would be good to practice on but when I eventually (is it just me or is the signage/maps next-to useless?) found it, it looked way too difficult for me and just coasted down the easy bits. Then got lost on the way back! Are there any good bits for me to practice on?

Keep it up fellow newbies! I can feel myself getting the bug...

Alex
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    I had a run down the bike park with an experienced mate of mine. There are a few routes down, some of which are no more difficult than Kitchener, others have a bit of wood here and there which was soaking wet and uninviting as far as a newbie goes :-)

Worth a visit, but make sure there's a few others around and you've got a first aid kit... Seems like the easiest place for a good crash.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Adotparker wrote:

Lee quarry in Bacup is pretty decent...... worth spending a day there to cover all the single track........ nothing too tricky

Sorry Hans Ray? For a beginner?