Rear Hub problem

Biggus86
Biggus86 Posts: 385
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I cleaned and maint'd my bike last week, was having an awful grinding noise on my rear hub, so I stripped it all down cleaned and re-greased. It's a Formula hub with sealed bearings, looked alright so I put it back together.
Now when I start riding, that initial pedal when you put all your weight into it, the chain slips maybe like 1 or 2 teeth, I'm not saying it's slipping teeth but I've had a word with someone in work and they suggest it maybe the pawls in the hub not engaging properly. When I had it apart and looked at it it looks fine though, noting that didn't look wrong.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what dis you actually do to the rear hub?

you say it is slipping teeth. is it? can you see the chain jumping over teeth?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Biggus86
    Got the cassette off and the part which the cassette slides onto, then cleaned it as much as I could from there. As the origional problem was a grinding noise, I assumed it would have been a bit if grit. Though that problem has been resolved now.
    No there's no visable slipping. Maybe I just need to strip it again, it will probably solve it, and another one shall arise haha
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Biggus86 wrote:
    then cleaned it as much as I could from there.

yes i guessed that what EXACTLY did you do?

what cleaner what grease what oil .........................................................................
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Biggus86
    I was using skywipes http://www.elixair.com/products/skywipes-skywipes-scrubs/, then to re-grease it some Weldtite teflon bike grease and some finish line wax oil lube

When I was using the skywipes I made sure I got all the old grease/oil off so I could properly see the pawls etc (which looked fine), then when I thought it was all ok, re-greased the metal-on-metal parts and put it back together.