bottom bracket / pedals noise ?

pitch black smell
pitch black smell Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in The workshop
2012 Specialized Crosstrail Comp, not quite 4 weeks old, and only covered about 450 miles so far.
Really worried that on the commute home on Friday (approx 23 miles) I started to get a "creaking / clicking" type noise from the bottom bracket area when under load .....no noise at all during free-wheeling.

2 questions.....

1. any ideas as to what might be the problem , especially after such a short time / low mileage ?
2. will this be covered under manufacturers warranty ?

I'm not averse to picking up the spanners to have a go myself, but I'm thinking it might fudge the warranty if I do...although I'm not sure that the warranty's on these cover very much at the best of times ?

I'm hoping this isnt a sign of things to come, as I'd hoped that going down the new bike route, my spanners would be relatively unused for a wee while at least !

any advice appreciated !
2012 Specialized Crosstrail Comp

Comments

• esd
    esd Posts: 36
    one thing could try

take pedals off

grease screw thread

put pedals back

sometimes creaking comes from metal on metal

ESD
  • esd wrote:
    one thing could try

take pedals off

grease screw thread

put pedals back

sometimes creaking comes from metal on metal

ESD

cheers ESD.....I'll give that a try tonight.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check everything is tight. You should do it every week or so anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Re-fitting pedals is a good shout.

Also check your cleats!
  • UPDATE - had the BB , crank and pedals all stripped down and re-greased.
    Everything fine for the 1st 40-45 miles after, with no creaking or clicking, but the last 5 - 10 miles was worse than ever with the clicking sound :(

I've since had it stripped down again, and for now the noise has gone ......but its now officially time to switch the crappy standard pedals out , in favour of some Shimano M530's.

that'll be the weekends job , along with shopping for some compatible shoes :D

fingers crossed that does the job !
  • remember to check the rear hub/freewheel, I have recently had a very pronounced clunking/clicking which I eventually traced to the cassette being slightly loose! I felt It and heard it through my pedals/bottoms bracket whilst cycling drove me nuts for weeks!

once I had regreased the hub bearings twice, the bottom bracket bearings once, and the pedals rebuilt twice, I finally, last night solved it with a quick tightening of the freehub fixing that holds on the cassette. UnF@#king believable!