Ignoring climbs, anyone else do it ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
It may be the case that everyone does it, but it's all new to me. I choose to ignore the climbs now, by that I mean, I used to look up at them all the way up, now I just focus just in front of the wheel and next thing I know I'm at the top.

Is this common, it certainly works for me. :D

Comments

• Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    i misread your post and thought you only cycled on billiard table flat road, whatever works for you mate and gets you up a hill is the way to go.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • cov_bcfc
    cov_bcfc Posts: 21
    I used to look to the top, but after one hill where I would get to the top only for it to flatten out then to encounter another steep incline! After saying to myself "push it! come on! almost there!" to then say "oh ffs! another one!" :lol: I now like to look at the front wheel and then look back to where I've come from! :lol:
  • I do exactly the same. Similar to when I would use the running machine at the gym. I would plug the music in, towel over the display, next thing yo have done 30 mins!!
  • :) or skiing - just look at the little bit in front of you, not all the way down!
  • B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    I just break it up into smaller sections - so I think, "get to that lamp-post" then "get to that speed sign". It works for me - looking at the hill as one big section is psychologically harder I find. But I also tell myself that every single hill I struggle up is improving my hill climbing ability by a tiny percentage.

I've been away with work in Rochester and theres a really long hill (not too steep), the first time up it I found it hard work but the third time up I relaxed more, and breezed up it, by zoning out.
  • Head down, watching the 5 metres of Tarmac immediately in front is how I do it too; I know when I'm at the top because it suddenly gets easier, and I don't WANT to know how much of the hill that I have left to do in case I don't like the answer!
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've found that slowing my breathing down helps my climbing. If I find myself panting I try and take less but deeper breaths; It seems to help.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • dormer88
    dormer88 Posts: 110
    I did Duncton Hill today is West Sussex. Literally thought I was going to pass out at the top. Not sure how it compares to others but I dont fancy it for a few days now. I just try an break it down into sections.
  • i do this. head down, keeping the pedals turning and thinking about my breathing.

Failed a climb once by looking up at it. Had to go back next day and complete it. : )
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I ignore all climbs.

just spin over them like they weren't there.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    One look up to take in the challenge and then head down all the way to the top...eventually. I made the mistake of looking ahead up a climb recently and saw someone pushing their bike! Which at first disheartened me then I thought f**k it and pedalled on up :lol:
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Yep. There's nothing worse than looking at a wall of tarmac to drain the courage from your heart and the strength from your legs.

Incidentally, I do the converse when riding downhill to try and overcome my natural fear. Look just over the front wheel - "Eek, that's fast". Look to the distance and it seems quite sedate.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Easiest time I ever had on a hill near me was when I climbed it at the same time as converting a distance in km to miles in my head.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    It wont make any difference to me as its all hilly at some point or other because I live on a mountain range.. :)

skooter
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    I find once I've been up any hill once, you get a pretty good feel for it and know where the flatter/steeper bits are and can pace accordingly. Half the fun of cycling is taking in the scenery, lift yer head up and enjoy it!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    head down for me too and just spin the pedals and try not to think about it - trouble with head down - I came very close to rear ending a double decker bus waiting at a bus stop!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    My perception has changed as I have got fitter.

Used to look up a hill and nearly stop and turn back, but trudged on.

Now I look up it and know I can get up it without hitting the wall.

I even noticed it on Snake Pass, first time it looked like a literal mountain to climb... last time, not so much, it is just starting now to look like a hill lol, just a hill.

I know what the OP means, I alternate between looking to the top and looking down.

Some hills I look at now and laugh at how I used to dread climbing it, but then I was so unfit even a 200M long hill was enough to make me hit the wall. I can't believe I was that unfit but you don't notice it if you never exercise.
  • Yep, me too.

Look at the gound a few metres ahead and you're at the top in no time.

I've actually found it to have the opposite effect if I look to the top. Like if you look at the wheel, the hill isn't real! :mrgreen:
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/