Replacement for Avid ElixirR?

flappy8
flappy8 Posts: 172
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've just found out that my rear brake on my Stumpy is binding & the piston won't go back properly... Just found out that many LBS near me will just remove them and send them back to SRAM tech centre as they are difficult to deal with.
Brake is 2 years old and has been used lots (probably 6 sets of pads) with no maintenance.

Trouble is I'm going away on Friday and the MTB is an essential ingredient for the holiday! So I could keep hunting in case anyone could deal with them, or purchase a new brake - If so would peeps recommend going Shimano or sticking with Avid?

If Shimano - a recommended option would be nice!.

Thanks
MTB or Road - They are both good!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano, model depneds on budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • flappy8
    I guess budget is 150ish - trouble appears to be its end of model year time! Would XT be equivaluent to Elixir R?
  • the newer XT's are miles better than Avid's Elixir R. Ive got the SLX M666 and they are superb!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've just put a set of 2013 SLX (M675) on my XT/AM bike and tbh they p1ss all over the Elixir R's that are on my DH bike.

I'd go SLX or XT all day long
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    another vote for SLX brakes, fantastic set of stoppers!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • flappy8
    Thanks all for your advice - managed to coax the Avid back into life which rescues the trip at the end of the week but a bit fed up with all the Avid voodoo bleed hassles that you get with them.

Think the next new bike toy will be the SLX brakes then!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have the XT M785 which are basically the SLX without the useless bite adjuster and they are absolutely stunning. Powerful but so much feel they are light years ahead of any Avid brake I have used. I wouldnt go back to Avids if they paid me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • symanoy
    It's come up in another brake thread but go to rose bikes to buy! can get the SLX for £60 close enough! absolute bargain! http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bra ... ?brand=764
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Remember you get levers other way round from Rose, and have to add £5+ for delivery.
  • symanoy
    True, but you can get a set of XT from them about £30 cheaper than SLX over here! That to me is worth the hassle of switching levers.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I wanted to buy from Rose but they were out of stock apart from the silver version without the fancy finned pads and with short hoses. As I needed quite a long hose for the rear and didnt fancy being 10mm too short I decided to play safe and got them from Merlin with the online discount + fancy pads worked out at same price.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap