a boring light post... (knog frogs)

redderekthelampshade
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Got a set today for my road bike.. Whoa they are bright little things, I'm quite impressed for £20.. I'll obviously reserve judgement until I've used them at night.

Do any of you lot use them? If so how do you find them? I bought them mainly because I like that they are discrete and small.. I aren't a fan of a cluttered handlebar area :-)

Comments

• I'm on my second pair...got a refund on the first because they would turn themselves on with the slightest bump (if at all) and wouldn't turn off.

My second pair I got cheap in a sale and have started doing the same. Don't work out so cheap when you gotta pay £4 each light for a battery every week!!
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Don't work out so cheap when you gotta pay £4 each light for a battery every week!!

My Knog Frogs use CR2032s which are reasonably inexpensive from Amazon:

Samsung Pleomox CR2032 x 5 - £2.99

Eunicell CR2032 x 10 - £2.79

Still not cheap if the dastardly things keep switching themselves on.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]

My second pair I got cheap in a sale [...]

This sale?
  • DrLex wrote:
    [...]

This sale?

nah from wiggle (though cheaper than this I think) :http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-frog-strobe-led-twinpack/

those ones you linked to don't look quite right (or are older versions?) Bloody cheap though!!!
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    DrLex wrote:
    [...]

This sale?

nah from wiggle (though cheaper than this I think) :http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-frog-strobe-led-twinpack/

those ones you linked to don't look quite right (or are older versions?) Bloody cheap though!!!

The old style like this are bright but rather directional.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAGr3rN_B9bRjs-wPBxYLhSdjJRVH0A-0R_krTZivqaWyFbtZEXg

Really only of any use as a secondary light or where a light is useful but not absolutely necessary. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they handed out this type of red rear Knog at one of the big French alpine sportives to try to prevent people slowing down/crashing into each other in the unlit road tunnels.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • Used them a few times since I got them.. Just enough to say to motorists 'I'm here!' - they look cool aswell..

Verdict.. Buy'em!!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    One of mine snapped within a year, the bigger ones seem OK.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.