Cube Peloton 2012 - option to upgrade to tiagra

Bull_Anderson
Bull_Anderson Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Having spent around 8 years doing cross country mountain biking, i have lost interest with it and find that road cycling interests me more! I have been to my local bike shops and the local evans cycles, i know my size (58cm) my local bike shop has shown me a Cube Peloton 2012 that costs £675. I took it out for a test ride and found that i loved it! But the Peloton comes with full Shimano Sora kit and I find the shifters harder to use. I asked in the shop how much it would cost to get an upgrade to tiagra, they said that they could upgrade the shifters, rear derailleur, rear crankset, and brakes, leaving the front derailleur as sora, all for £750. is this a good upgrade, will i feel the difference in the ride? or are there any other road bikes that are as good for £750? :mrgreen:

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    If it were me, I'd go for the Tiagra.

However I doubt you'd feel a big difference in overall shifting compared to a well set up Sora. You will have much better shifters & if it is 10 speed Tiagra, better /easier upgrade potential in the future.

Also if they are changing the gearing, you can ensure you get your preferred setup (eg compact or standard chainset & cassette size you want).
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • fgaffney
    fgaffney Posts: 49
    I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago as my first road bike having made a short list of three bikes from Scott, BeOne and Merlin...

Really nice set of components including Tiagra all round so may be worth considering? Add a set of pedals and a new pair of shoes and you'll still be well under you're £750 budget?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html
  • will probably go with the Cube from my local shop with a compact crankset, they will also give me 15% to spend on extras. got a pair of basic clip shoes so will buy a pair of clip pedals and a saddle bag.
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    I have 2011 Tiagra and I think its amazing for the cash, and def worth the extra over Sora
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018