I'm thinking about changing my bike.

b00g13
b00g13 Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Came here looking for help. I commute to work daily on my Claud Butler Legend but I'm not really sure if i like it. It's not a bad bike, it's comfy and takes my weight nicely, but it's not exactly what i want. It's even hard to put a finger on what is it that I don't like about it, it's all small things really.
Firstly, I don't really know if that's possible, but the frame appears to be too springy, or too bouncy. Every time i step hard on the pedals, like when starting from the lights, I feel the frame bending slightly and I really hate that feel.
Then there is a little matter of some equipment that I feel is getting old. I bought a used bike and not from it's original user, I know it had some mileage in it but i don't know how much. I feel like i should change few things but even though that's a far smaller investment then buying a new bike, but I'm not sure if investing in something that might not improve my experience a lot is not the best idea.
On top of that there is also a matter of having longer trips then my daily commute. When i was a little bit younger I used to do trips around the area i lived in, daily trips, sometimes for the weekend, not too far, i think the longest were around 60 miles one way. Now, after few years without a bike, I want to start doing it again, a little bit further this time. I'm thinking about having a biking holidays with my partner, spending a week or two in the saddles.
The thing is, when I was younger I didn't plan these things. I would just jump on a bike and ride. It didn't matter that my bike was a generic supermarket mtb and that I spend my time equally riding it and repairing it. Now, when I'm thinking about taking it to, for example, France, I don't want to be afraid that it will fall to bits in the middle of the road.
The problem is, even though I cycled a lot when I was a kid I do not posses any knowledge about bikes in general. Sure, I know how to change the tubes using can opener or how to fix mudguards with a sticky tape, but that's about it. At the moment I'm torn between gearing up my bike or buying a new one and leaning slightly towards a new one, but if I decide to buy a new one a whole world of problems will appear in front of me. I have been checking the shops and review sites, but the sheer quantity of options is overwhelming. I don't even know what kind of bike would i be looking for.
That's why I came here, to ask for advice and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

To end this, way too long, post let me add a photo of my bike.

QI19o.jpg
kEzSt.jpg

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I'd look into Hybrid bikes .............. light, strong, and practical..... most can carry your baggage too....
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • b00g13
    I would love to spend less then 500 pounds on that, especially since i would propably need to buy two; for my partner and for myself.. Would it be possible to get a decend hybrid for that much?
    I dont need suspension, dont need disc brakes. Actually, If it's possible, I dont want any additional gear like mudguars and racks. Would prefer to buy cheaper version and slowly buy whatever else i need.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    b00g13 wrote:
    I would love to spend less then 500 pounds on that, especially since i would propably need to buy two; for my partner and for myself.. Would it be possible to get a decend hybrid for that much?
    I dont need suspension, dont need disc brakes. Actually, If it's possible, I dont want any additional gear like mudguars and racks. Would prefer to buy cheaper version and slowly buy whatever else i need.

£500 quid will buy an enormous number of hybrids, some are not particularly light though! It's probabbly cheaper to buy one with racks and guards fitted, as it works out cheaper in the long run.

If you like drop bars, consider a cyclocross bike, I'm a recent convert and I love my Revolution Cross, it's nearly as fast as a road bike, and as tough as my hybrid. I love it!
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Adotparker
    b00g13 wrote:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/70-fx-2012-hybrid-bike-ec031935

what about this?.......... it's adequate for the money, a decet brand, and if brought from Evans, expect good customer service and warantee covers :)
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    Evans cycles has many........ just click on the hybrid bike section....... scott, trek, cannondale.... all recommended brands
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • b00g13
    Big_Paul wrote:
    £500 quid will buy an enormous number of hybrids, some are not particularly light though! It's probabbly cheaper to buy one with racks and guards fitted, as it works out cheaper in the long run.

If you like drop bars, consider a cyclocross bike, I'm a recent convert and I love my Revolution Cross, it's nearly as fast as a road bike, and as tough as my hybrid. I love it!
    I dont think The weight would make a big difference for me. I'm 231lbs myself, add loaded panniers and the difference dissapear, i think. I'm not so sure about drop bars, would have to try them I guess.
    Wish there were some sold with butterfly bars, I used them for ages and really liked it.
    Revolution Cross looks nice, will look into it.
    Adotparker wrote:
    Evans cycles has many........ just click on the hybrid bike section....... scott, trek, cannondale.... all recommended brands
    That's the problem ;) Too many to choose from.
    Adotparker wrote:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/70-fx-2012-hybrid-bike-ec031935

what about this?.......... it's adequate for the money, a decet brand, and if brought from Evans, expect good customer service and warantee covers :)

I actually was thinking about it. At the moment I'm looking at theese three.
    - Trek 7.3 FX or 7.0 FX. I see that they are different but I dont really know what to look for. I am looking at evans right now and that description reads like alchemical manuscript.
    - Specialized Sirrus. Once again, I see there are different versions, but have no idea how big a difference they make.
    - Giant Escape. I only found one.. yet. Another dozen versions is propably still waiting somewhere.

All of them comes without any racks or mudguards, unfortunately.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I weigh 240lbs, fully loaded my Hybrid weighs something like 44lbs, trust me, you feel every ounce of it when you're going away from the lights or uphill, riding back to back with my Cross or my Vitus it feels like getting out of a sports car and into a transit van.

Initially I wasn't sure about drops, now I love them, if only because I can move my hands about to stop them going numb. :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • b00g13
    And what if i'd just buy myself the frame now and build the bike this way?