Project All Mountain 2013

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want to get a new bike (next year) - have started saving (I have a little money, I keep it in a jar) with the objective to buy something new next year around May (once the snow clears from Winter).

Ideally I will have x saved and will sell my Big Hit and old school Heckler to add to the fund - assume I will have in the region of 2500 quid (I am buying in CDN dollars but as most of you are British I thought I'd simplify).

I want the bike to be capable of doing long day rides, xc/trail (assume terrain up to or marginally harder than black trail centre) as well as days in the Bike Park over summer (small jump runs and berms, gnarly rooty droppy sections). So it has to be say 30 lbs tops, tough enough to take a beating, stiff, low maintenance (as I generally dont do much although I am capable of doing most of it) and 140-150mm travel I reckon.

I prefer RS to Fox (see maintenance), shimano to Sram and have no strong opinions on brakes as long as they work.

I will be keeping my hardtail for easier trails and so on.

Looking for input, for names to add to the wish list.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    I rode a Trek remedy recently and was very impressed! its 150mm travel however it is Fox suspension, however the DRCV shock is very nice and feels quite bottomless! With the pro pedal on it climbs remarkably well for a bike of its size!! the 8 is £2500 i believe with shimano transmission including the quality SLX brakes. Add a dropper post and I think it would be a fantastic do anything all mountain bike, maybe worth a look?
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • keppy
    keppy Posts: 10
    I picked up a new 2012 Remedy 9 for £2,200 a month or so back, there are bargains out there to be had..... And an awesome bike too!!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    2 calls for the Remedy huh. Scott and Trek fall foul of my odd brand dislike rule - no reason for it but there is something I dislike about Trek (not least their website). Also no local dealer.

So some of the bikes I am thinking of include:

Enduro or a Stumpy Evo (can prob get a deal on one)
    Butcher/Heckler
    Transition Bandit/Covert (might be able to swing a deal)
    Pivot 5.75
    Norco Sight (I can get a deal on one through work but not sure I'd want one)
    Giant Reign (again I can probably get a deal on one)
    Cannondale Jekkyl (off budget I think)
    Commie Meta AM

Would like to look at some of the niche brands to add to the list
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    Stumpy evo is a great bike that everyone seems to like
    I loved riding the Heckler but would take a stumpy or a remedy over it for all day riding
    Pivot are meant to be lovely bikes indeed!
    the sight won WMB's trail bike of the yea if that means anything to you?
    I've heard mainly negative things about the meta in general though, especially about being flexy, but some people like that!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII