Advice needed for a newbie!

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 285
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hello everyone! I'm a complete newbie to this sport and the only experience I had was twenty years ago as a downhill racer. Im very rusty to say the least! I have bought a Wilier Iozoard XP and was wondering what kit I need to get, such as shirts, pants, gloves, helmets, spd's What are good value? What brands are good and bad? What's the difference between a cheap helmet compared to an expensive helmet? You know where I'm comming from?
Any help would be fab and this will be the first of many treads from me......:0
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    edited August 2012
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    Hello everyone! I'm a complete newbie to this sport and the only experience I had was twenty years ago as a downhill racer. Im very rusty to say the least! I have bought a Wilier Iozoard XP and was wondering what kit I need to get, such as shirts, pants, gloves, helmets, spd's What are good value? What brands are good and bad? What's the difference between a cheap helmet compared to an expensive helmet? You know where I'm comming from?

You could try chrome cleaner!

Question overload! Too many questions in one post. You could try using the search to see answers to some of your questions as these are well covered.

On helmets, I have found that the more expensive the helmet the more holes you get, the lighter it is, great if you live somewhere hot, haven't found much difference in quality. FIT is the most important point, they all suit different shaped heads.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Summer Clothing:
      Padded Bib Shorts - DHB from wiggle.com are well thought of
    see this thread
    (you don't wear pants under padded shorts)
    Short Sleeve Summer jersey - take you pick
    Short finger padded gloves for summer - best tried on so get down your Local Bike Shop
    Packable rain coat - see this review
    Proper Cycling Shoes - Again DHB from wiggle.com but hundreds to choose from
    Helmet - see this recent review
    (more expensive = lighter, more comfortable, more aero-dynamic, better vented)
    For your Bike:
      Clipless Pedals - SPD or SPD-SL or Look or Speed Play etc. - see this
      A bag to carry puncture repair kit, you will need:
        Spare inner tube Tire levers A pump or a CO2 inflater Multi-tool Emergency cash and a charged up mobile phone
      A heavy lock if you plan to leave your bike for hours, or a light lock if you plan to visit cafes

For your garage/shed workshop:
        A Track pump
        A set of Allen keys
        A set of spanners
        Cross point screw driver

Other Accessories:
          Lights if you are going out after dark
          A cycle computer to track what you've done
        • team47b
          team47b Posts: 6,425
          @ Gizmodo

It's Sunday morning, stop with the enthusiasm already :D
          my isetta is a 300cc bike
        • bluedoggy
          bluedoggy Posts: 285
          team47b wrote:
          Bluedoggy wrote:

You could try chrome cleaner!

Question overload! Too many questions in one post. You could try using the search to see answers to some of your questions as these are well covered.

On helmets, I have found that the more expensive the helmet the more holes you get, the lighter it is, great if you live somewhere hot, haven't found much difference in quality. FIT is the most important point, they all suit different shaped heads.

Thanks!
          I will do simple threads n future!:)
          Wilier cento uno.
        • Gizmodo
          Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
          team47b wrote:
          @ Gizmodo

It's Sunday morning, stop with the enthusiasm already :D
          It's a good job that I ran out of time before going out for a ride, I was just going to get onto winter stuff. :D