Bike stolen, work no help

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I feel like a rant...my bike was stolen from outside work on Thursday......van pulled up....some men got out and got to work on my U lock and chains...spent about 2 minutes either grinding or cutting the locks off...then away....
The company I work for is a cash business and we have CCTV everywhere but they still had time without being disturbed to do the deed and get mine plus another bike.
The company refuses to fit any kind of secure shelter or allow myself or any of the ten or so other cyclists to bring our cycles inside, and when I queried whether I could use the company insurance rather than my own I was given a flat no.
When I asked if they had any plans as to stop this happening again, bearing in mind that lots of us have asked in the past for some help regarding the cycles safe, the response was that I should buy a bigger and stronger lock when the insurance pay out and I get my new bike.
Rant over...thanks for listening!!

Dave

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    That's gloomy. I'd recommend an Almax chain if you can leave it at work.

PS, FWIW I do agree that your employer is being a git.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    That's gloomy. I'd recommend an Almax chain if you can leave it at work.

PS, FWIW I do agree that your employer is being a git.

Worst thing is...multinational...multimillion pound company......big in the news around the olympics!!!

Dave
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    You say out side work. Was it actually on the company premises? If not I'd have expected two fingers in my face. If it was within the company boundary do they have any signs saying that they are not responsible for property left within? Cos they should have. Also, have the Poolice requested the CCTV?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:
    You say out side work. Was it actually on the company premises? If not I'd have expected two fingers in my face. If it was within the company boundary do they have any signs saying that they are not responsible for property left within? Cos they should have. Also, have the Poolice requested the CCTV?

Yep, on company premises.....they have CCTV, police coming to collect on monday....someone actually got the reg of the van too, so hopeful of something, if not actually seeing my bike again...and no signs outside of any kind....but i get the feeling there will be very soon...lucky i took some pictures on thursday after the bike was stolen

Dave
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    And the name of the company is...

oh go on :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    G4S??????
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    G4S??????

Well of course I could not either CONFIRM of deny whether you have guessed the company correctly

Dave
  • 2 bikes got nicked within a high profile security company's premises?

That would be almost laughably bad if true.
  • 2 bikes got nicked within a high profile security company's premises?

That would be almost laughably bad if true.

Not from within, but on the perimeter with countless CCTV, they had time to work both the locks off my bike and were not challenged, it appears it was noticed when a member of staff coming in told the officer in the security office something was going on outside.

Dave
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    t4tomo wrote:
    G4S??????
    Splitters.

OP- I think you are S.O.L. when it comes to your lost bike I'm afraid. In the longer term, hang on to any ignorant emails from people telling you that the "solution" is getting another lock. As we all know, if a thief is determined enough, no lock will be sufficient. They will take the pavement if they have to.

How many of you cycle?

If I were in your position, I'd be digging out cycle policies, environmental policies, employee health and wellbeing mission statements and that sort of thing. Big companies like that sort of tosh, but sometimes like actually putting any of it into effect even less. Ultimately though, unless you can find someone sympathetic in the organisation, you will have to either put up or vote with your feet.

My situation is that the firm has all of the above policies and participates in bike to work. However the cycle policy contains a get out of jail free statement, "Individual offices are not obliged to provide cycle facilities". As such, I have an outdoor (at least covered) bike rack to chain my bike to. I have to lift my bike over my bosses motorbike to get to them (he hasn't got a parking space, so parks his bike up against the cycle racks. There is a wet room/disabled loo with a shower, but this is used to store about 120L of water for the water cooler. So I make do with a sink and a flannel. There is nowhere to leave clothes to dry, so I chain my bike shorts and tshirt to the bike to dry outside. If anyone steals them, they are braver than me. I rely on two big motorbike locks and a gentrified part of town for security.

This level of cycling provision seems to be just about average. i.e. zero. I personally think it is an abdication of corporate responsibility in this day and age, and if in the long term - now that they have someone who is so keen on cycling that their hanglebars are lower than their saddle - they don't accommodate me when they have the opportunity, I'll probably leave. i.e. If when we expand or move offices they don't make at least some nod towards my commuting needs, I'll regard that as a two fingers and I'll probably look elsewhere.
  • I know I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't see the bike again, but that doesn't stop my frustration and it certainly won't make me stop trying to take this further up the company from my managers to try to get something done, but things like voting with my feet are redundant because we sold our second car as it was costing too much too run and the Mrs uses the family car for work.
    More and more people are riding now, I think there are around 12 cyclists now, and although it doesn't sound like a lot, last year there were none at all.
    At least I can try to rattle some cages and see what happens.

Dave
  • Try giving the army a call, perhaps they can come in and take over the security side of things :p

joking aside hope something gets sorted out, even if its just a shiny new bike on insurance