Clipless or flats

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
As per title.

While I am awaiting my new bike I am trying to decide whether to go with clipless pedals or stick with flats. What are your opinions on both, what do you use?

For those that use clipless is going from flats to cliples an easy transition?

I have been looking at the the Shimano M520 and if I go for flats again it will be the superstar nanos that I have tried and tested before.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Full sus any day.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The answer is n to the power of 7
  • toastedone
    Thanks for your insight.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think the topic of spds vs flats may have been gone over a number of times before - perhaps a search using the search function would give you the answer and save everyone either re-arguing the same topic or coming up with new and cleverer sarcastic responses.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    And the answer is always both are better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    I have both and that is definitely true.
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    Genuine answerhere but only my opinion and my experience.

I went from flats to m520's - i hated the racey little spd and couldn't get my confidence up so went to superatr nanos and trainers - my confidence shot up until i switched from a trek ex to a zesty when the flats just didn't work and i would be thrown about all over the place resulting in many near misses. As a result i went for the m520 trail pedal and some new spd shoes by shimano and i can now ride harder and faster and with ultimate confidence - partly because the springs are set loose enough that my foot will come free with a good tug.

I'd go SPD if i had no other choice, but i do believe this is 100% personal preference and i dont believe anyone can truely tell you which to buy.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • paul.skibum
    Sounds like the suspension isnt set up right on your zesty to me. That or your technique is off.

Don't see why flats work on an Ex but not on a Zesty.
  • mfereborn
    I wasn't entirely sure myself, however i tried various suspension settings. Whatever it was i don't know as it was fox float rear on both and the same on the front. I perhaps put it down to the length/geometry of the zesty being longer meaning i wasn't as settled?

But thats a whole new kettle of fish...
  • cooldad
    mfereborn wrote:

But thats a whole new kettle of fish...
    A kettle of salmon is better than a kettle of sharks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    cooldad wrote:
    A kettle of salmon is better than a kettle of sharks.

This. With sharks you'd need a pretty big kettle or some very small sharks. I reckon a salmon would fit in a kettle though. Unfortunately I don't have one to test this theory right now so you'll have to take my word for it.

IMO Give clipless a go, won't cost too much to try, well £20 for some pedals and potentially as little as £30-50 and you can see if it's for you. I ride both, it just depends on what I'm doing, where I am and what mood I'm in too :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    mfereborn wrote:
    I wasn't entirely sure myself, however i tried various suspension settings.
    Maybe you should have just set it up right, rather than "tried various settings".
    There's a bazillion different combinations of settings, and very few of those are correct.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    mfereborn wrote:
    Maybe you should have just set it up right, rather than "tried various settings".
    There's a bazillion different combinations of settings, and very few of those are correct.

And even fewer are correct for the rider!

However, IMO disc brakes are better.
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn wrote:

Without sounding like im taking the pee... It's not THAT hard to set up suspension properly...

Or am i missing a joke somewhere? :oops:
  • cooldad
    No joke, but if the only things stopping you getting bounced off a Zesty are SPD's then it can't be set up correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I have both and that is definitely true.

+1
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    mfereborn wrote:
    mfereborn wrote:

Without sounding like im taking the pee... It's not THAT hard to set up suspension properly...

Or am i missing a joke somewhere? :oops:

You tell us - you're the one who cant stay on his bike without duct tape and bogeys sticking you to the pedals.
  • toastedone
    Well I have gone for SPD's I ordered some Shimano M520 and some 661 filter shoes, both turned up today. The M520's seem to have excellent reviews, and I bagged a pair of 661 filters (Last years) for a bargain price new. The shoes are really comfy, But I have not tried the pedals as yet as I am waiting for my new bike to be delivered, A 2 week wait, yawn.

If I do not get on with the SPDs at least the shoes will suit flats as well.