Water Bottle Hygiene

2»

Comments

• olza23
    olza23 Posts: 20
    I cant believe we are talking about washing up?

I feel really odd reading and commenting on this...feels not natural.

C'mon lads, spit shine and all that???!?!?

I just leave them on the side and hope for the best, if the 'bacteria' at the bottom of the bottle 'develops' and kills me then it's my time to go!

Hey ho!
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I believe it kills a good chunk of the wildlife if not all.

Anyway, all I can say is that I've never had any bother with my drinking water bottles either in terms of taste or dying and I keep them till they break! But then I tend to think that maybe people are so obsessed with hygiene that they just end up vulnerable to anything so maybe they do need to be paranoid.

Cold doesn't kill any bacteria. Basic food hygiene fail. It only slows down the rate it multiplies. That's why things in the freezer still only have a 1/3/6 month lifespan.

Only heat or sterilising fluids can kill bacteria.
    ^ This.

Or radiation,
    Bleach is still the best we have that will let you use the bottle again! 134 Celsius in an autoclave and the plastic might not like it a great deal.
  • We have clean water up here :P
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I believe it kills a good chunk of the wildlife if not all.

Anyway, all I can say is that I've never had any bother with my drinking water bottles either in terms of taste or dying and I keep them till they break! But then I tend to think that maybe people are so obsessed with hygiene that they just end up vulnerable to anything so maybe they do need to be paranoid.

Cold doesn't kill any bacteria. Basic food hygiene fail. It only slows down the rate it multiplies. That's why things in the freezer still only have a 1/3/6 month lifespan.

Only heat or sterilising fluids can kill bacteria.
    ^ This.

Or radiation,
    Bleach is still the best we have that will let you use the bottle again! 134 Celsius in an autoclave and the plastic might not like it a great deal.
    Spore forming bacteria can handle heat over 134 degrees, 10% bleach will get them though
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    wash after every cycle

Half sterilising tablet every now and then also. Still here :D
  • when i clean the dishes (by hand, i dont like the dishwasher) i wash the water bottles with whatever washing-up liquid and a bottle brush.

Thats when i remember to take the bottles back in the house.