help won't shift off top gear!!!!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
help got a 100km sportive tomorrow!! when i have put my wheel back on it won't shift, its shuck on the highest gear(the gear left it on when took wheel off and put back on) it will only click as if shifting maybe 3-4 clicks at most but nothing i happening! don't have time to get to lbs now! help, thank you....ps i have posted this in workshop too, its like the deraillier wont budge/respond
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Y did u tek the wheel off :?:
  • ianbar
    i was cleaning like to take the wheel off to clean cassette and get to inside parts of frame
    enigma esprit
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your cable is slipping. Put the shifter so that its in the biggest gear.

Then pull the cable on the rear mech so its taught. Then retighten the allenkey bolt that should hold it in place on the mech.
  • ianbar
    i have already tried that, but didn't work....could it be that i have cleaned it and soapy suds got in the shifters? (looking for easy answer now lol)
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    ok i seem to be about there, i started to poke about tin the shifter and somehow the cable had come loose so had to re-fit it. only thing now is I'm am struggling to index it properly to get it down to the lowest(big sprocket).
    enigma esprit
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    if its chattering like it wants to change gear to the next cog tighten the cable slightly either adjuster on the frame or on the mech will do. or it may need the higher limit screw adjusting to allow the mech to move out more
  • ianbar
    been fiddling for while and can't get it right, I'm happy its at least working tho....i was cursing only having one bike for a while :-p i am going to get some mechanics to look her over one ei get there in morning, just checked and they will have people to make sure everything is cool so should be fine now.god was stressful though, cost a lot to enter!
    enigma esprit
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    ianbar wrote:
    help got a 100km sportive tomorrow!!

Where are you riding?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ianbar
    the york 100.....at surprise surprise york lol
    enigma esprit
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Have a good ride.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I cannot believe folks have suggested fettling as the answer...the answer is that you need another bike :)
  • ianbar
    lol my thoughts too lol
    enigma esprit
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Maybe a fixie - even YOU couldnt break the gears on one of those Ian!! :wink::lol::lol:
  • ianbar
    well the guys at the start helped me out bet said i should take it to lbs to get it re-cabeled plus said my derailliuer was bent! any way good excuse to look at bikes while i am there.
    enigma esprit