Cables: Gore Ride On fully sealed
Bars: Ritchey Classic
Stem: Ritchey Classic
Seat Post: Ritchey Classic
Seat: Ritchey Streem
Seat Post Clamp: Hope
Cranks: Raceface Respond
Pedals: DMR V8

Built this for a friend. Once I had completed it I (for some mysterious reason) didn't want to part with it anymore... However, I got my reward when I saw the smile on my friend's face when he came to pick it up (he hadn't seen even a single part of the bike during the building). After all the hand shaking and hugging, we were on our way to the nearest trails where we spent the next two hours. Of course, I got to test it too. It was a pure joy - super stable yet lively, bit heavy as a steel 29er yet surprisingly agile rounding the trees.

If there's anything to learn from the project, it is that you need decent, rigid wheels on your 29er. I have some flimsy entry level wheels from Fulcrum on my own bike and they're worthless.

EDIT: added a picture

Comments

• Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    nice, love the colour
  • adebisi
    adebisi Posts: 52
    Team515 wrote:
    nice, love the colour
    Thanks. And it looks great next to my own bright orange Niner AIR9, too. Together we make a visible duo.
  • The frame looks super thin from the pictures. But I love the green paint. Awesome job, not surprised you didn't want to part with it.
  • adebisi
    The frame looks super thin from the pictures. But I love the green paint. Awesome job, not surprised you didn't want to part with it.
    The frame is thin indeed. That's a part of the charm of the steel. Personally I love slim tubes.
  • 8) I really like these frames.Nice colour too.I just wish I could afford one :cry:

Those bars are at a funny angle though aren't they :?
  • Niner do make lovely looking frames!
  • Really like this bike. My 29er is a tad heavy but as with that one makes up for it with everything else. Lovely looking bike though.
  • adebisi
    pompeydave wrote:
    8) I really like these frames.Nice colour too.I just wish I could afford one :cry:

Those bars are at a funny angle though aren't they :?
    Please, note that the bar isn't a riser one. It's basically a flatbar with some s-shaping to accommodate the 10degree backsweep. I agree it looks a bit funny, though. However, that was the angle where it felt the best.
  • adebisi
    Thanks for the praise.
    Here's a closeup on the cranks

attachment.php?attachmentid=8375&d=1345316735
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    adebisi wrote:
    If there's anything to learn from the project, it is that you need decent, rigid wheels on your 29er. I have some flimsy entry level wheels from Fulcrum on my own bike and they're worthless.

That is what has always crossed my mind, obviously the bigger the wheel the stronger it would need to be.

Nice bike BTW; a steel framed 29 inch, HT, cannot be that common!