5th on a segment!

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I know strava gets talked to death in here but I managed a 5th of 68! I have been cycling since start of June and see this as good going!
I went for a ride with my brother in law who has had a lay off due to work for a month and found it very tough completing 30miles ended up averaging a slow 12mph which was difficult for me as I am averaging 15-16 miles per hour now so had lots in the tank on the last segment I knew of before getting home.

http://app.strava.com/rides/18896880#341752817

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Good going. I don't figure anywhere near as high up on the leaderboards for segments with multiple riders. Perhaps you were just super quick on the descent of Arno S :wink:

I tend to look at 'PRs' more, and if you can keep beating them then you are not doing much wrong.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Great effort on that segment. Even more impressive is the 49.8mph maximum speed that you hit on that ride. :D

PS you rode past the end of my road in Hoylake today 8)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pah - you're ahead of me on it ! Now try it the other way round though ! :-)
  • Steve V
    Steve V Posts: 13
    I got a first and a fourth today, on my MTB!

The other riders must have been slow, I was only out for a pootle!
    Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
  • Carl_P wrote:
    Good going. I don't figure anywhere near as high up on the leaderboards for segments with multiple riders. Perhaps you were just super quick on the descent of Arno S :wink:

I tend to look at 'PRs' more, and if you can keep beating them then you are not doing much wrong.

I tend to go with PR too as this indicates progression.

I did well on the climb keeping the big ring going at a decent cadence. When looking at the stats I didn't drop below 17mph I think for the climb which is great for me!
    Great effort on that segment. Even more impressive is the 49.8mph maximum speed that you hit on that ride. :D

PS you rode past the end of my road in Hoylake today 8)
    Don't know where I did that as I think its an error lol! 35mph down the arno which I thought was the quickest of the day.
    cougie wrote:
    Pah - you're ahead of me on it ! Now try it the other way round though ! :-)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/18801257#340531622 This was my PB yesterday not bad with headwind and a cycling jacket on sweating my guts out.This PB was set on my first segment of the day so warming up and not trying to set any records if I attacked it I could shave 15secs of that I think may try this week!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve been using strava for about a month now. I live in the Netherlands. What makes me laugh is after cycling for 30 miles my ELEV/GAIN is only 54ft. It really is so flat here. I wish we had some more hills it,s so bloody boring riding here.
    Ademort :D
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    ademort wrote:
    I,ve been using strava for about a month now. I live in the Netherlands. What makes me laugh is after cycling for 30 miles my ELEV/GAIN is only 54ft. It really is so flat here. I wish we had some more hills it,s so bloody boring riding here.

Sometimes I wish it was that flat here. An average 20 mile ride has about 1000ft Elevation gain round here, if I want a hilly ride it's easy to do 2500ft over 20 miles.

I've managed to get a few higher up places, I'm sitting at number 1 on one segment, but it's only had 15 people do it. I'd say my best is a 3rd position on one which has got over 100 who have done it. I find most of it comes down to conditions though - a head wind can totally change a run.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    You lucky sod, i,m jealous.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    ademort wrote:

Hahaha! I was riding in SW Florida for the last couple of weeks - came back from a 50 mile ride with 0ft elevation gain! Plus it was 34C and humid.....

Back in the Surrey Hills now - a 40 mile ride here feels harder than 80 miles in Florida....
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    ademort wrote:
    You lucky sod, i,m jealous.
    Ademort

It'd be nice to swap for a few weeks :lol:

I live on a bank which must be over 600ft from top to bottom over about 2 miles, I live towards the top so it's normally downhill to start and uphill to get back home. Nice starting the journey at over 40mph with minimal effort though :wink: