Co2 and tyre levers

MrCubeLtd
MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I didn't really like the mini pump sitting in my jersey pocket in case I had a spill. So I've just picked up some CO2 cannisters and trigger - they fit nicely in my mini wedge saddle bag. I have 3 tyre levers in there as well. When I had the MTB I didn't need the levers as I could pop the tyre with my fingers to remove etc

I am yet to remove a road tyre - can it be popped with fingers or is tyre levers necessary?
I'm pedalling as fast as I can!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tyre levers are handy. But ive only ever needed 2 so i carry 2
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    As slow has said 2 is plenty but my gp4000 are pigs to get on especially the last bit. Not had much experience with other tyres.
  • MrCubeLtd
    MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
    Cool. 2 it is then. Thanks for the advice everyone

Right I have just repacked my specialized mini wedge small saddle bag. On the conveyor belt tonight we have.....

1 x spare tube
    2 x tyre levers
    2 x Co2 cannistors
    1 x Co2 nozzle
    1 x Cheap and nasty compact nokia phone
    1 x basic first aid. Gloves, sterile wipes, buds and plasters
    1 x emergency money £2 (Now I know £2 buys you nothing these days, but I'm thinking some sky diver crisps :D )

That should do it!
    I'm pedalling as fast as I can!
  • Personally I'd add a puncture repair kit (minus the box); a couple of patches and a tube of glue takes up hardly any space, and it's not at all unusual to suffer multiple punctures on a single ride (maybe it's me, but I very rarely puncture; when I do, it's pretty common to get a second on the same ride no matter how carefully I check the tyre for thorns etc).
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    Why 2 CO2 canisters but only one tube - without a puncture repair kit you wont need the second
  • I had 2 punctures the other day and only one spare tube. I now also carry a few patches and small glue. (note - always check for stones/thorns in tyre before replacing tube!)
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    If you start to inflate the tyre and realise you didn't seat the tube/tyre correctly then the 2nd one becomes very helpful...
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    My MTB ones are a pig to get on and off, I've snapped levers trying! For my off road tyres I went to tubeless so I didn't have to bother again! Just did my first puncture on the road bike and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, couldn't get the tyre off with just my fingers but 2 plastic tyre levers easily popped it off.

Just sorting out what I'll have on the bike from now on, I think it will be:

Spare inner tube
    Co2 trigger and cannister (maybe 2 cannisters depending on space)
    Topeak 18+ multitool (has 1 tyre lever on it)
    1 extra tyre lever
    3 or 4 self adhesive slime scabs or similar.

Just need the co2 trigger, but got a pump mounted on until I sort that. Don't like the pump though it was one I got for the MTB and it is just about good enough on the MTB but the pressure is too low on the road bike. It only gets about 45psi without a lot of effort.