Mtb £550-£750 6'4 rider

Hutto
Hutto Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a mtb for canal paths and the occasional dirt track but nothing too serious.

Budget is £550-£750 and having done the obligatory search on Halfords and the Boardman Comp and Voodoo Hoodoo caught my eye but they only go as far as 19/20" frames. Being 6'4 are they likely to be way too small for me?

The Boardman Hybrid comes in 21" but I imagine the terrain would kill those skinny tyres!

Any other suggestions for bikes in my price range?

Many thanks

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    BTW available in 22"
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Best thing to do is try some different bikes for size - a 20" in one manufacturers size can be quite different to a 20" I'm another for example.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Frame size is more related to upper body/arm length than leg length (you can adjust the setapost height but not the top tube length!), I'm 5'10" and ride a 16".......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hutto
    Hutto Posts: 3
    Frame size is more related to upper body/arm length than leg length (you can adjust the setapost height but not the top tube length!), I'm 5'10" and ride a 16".......

Interesting... I used a few of the online frame size calculators and despite my height it's recommending 20-21" which puts one or two more bikes back into contention.

I'll go out and try a few to see what feels right.

The Grand Canyon AL looks like an amazing bit of kit, definitely one to consider.

Thanks guys!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'm 6'4" and my current hardtail is a 20" frame. My only recommendation is to get thee hence to the shops and actually see what fits. It's a bit of an issue with the Canyons as they're online sale only, but there may be one somewhere you can swing a leg over - as folk point out, they are astounding value for money.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If a Canyon doesn't fit you can send it back.
  • I'm 6'2"-6'3" and went for the 19" boardman comp MTB, tbh, I'm sure the 18" would have been fine too.

I'd say go to the shop, move the seat post to the correct position and see how they feel.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm 6'4" and ride a 20" On-One Inbred as my hardtail. Best bet is, as has been suggested, go to a shop and try a few.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris