New to cycling - cue stupid question about pumps

Clown_101
Clown_101 Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to cycling and have just bought my first road bike, a Boardman Race. I've been meaning to get a pump that I can attach to my bike as I'm currently riding round just hoping not to get a puncture but, being an absolute noobie, have no idea what to buy.

On my tires it says "145 psi" so my first question is, is this the maximum pressure or the optimum pressure for the tires?

Presumably I need a big one for home to get the right pressure and a more portable one (sorry I don't know names for things!) to attach to my bike so any advice on what pumps to buy would be great; I never knew how many variations there were! In terms of price I am a student so I don't want to spend money unnecessarily but at the same time if it means spending a little more to get a decent pump I'm happy to do so.

Thanks for reading and any help would be massively appreciated!

Tom

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Track pump for home, portable pump for out and about but tyre pressures dont need to be 145. Some go for around 100-120psi but I usually run 100-110 rear and 80-95 front.
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    Asda do a reliable easy to use track pump for around £15
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Check out when Aldi & Lidl do their bike events. I got loads of stuff & all of it was fantastic! From track pumps, computers, tops, shorts & gloves. I have used most of it for about 4 months & it is really good stuff, so much better than the Sports Direct crap I originally bought!! And around 50% cheaper.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    What tyres say 145psi on them?!

I thought 120psi was about the most.

My only advice for getting a pump is don't get a cheap one. Some are just glued together and the glue can't even take the pressure. You know those pumps because they usually weigh next to nothing.

If I were getting a new pump I would spend at least £30. (whether its a smaller one or a track pump)

I got that "Topeak Road Morph" and I dunno how good it is on road tyres because I always use the track pump. :P

But I am quite certain the small Topeak, even if it won't go to 115psi (says it goes well over) it will get me home which is what matters most.

I find you can't realistically just have 1 pump, you always need a track pump at home... or an extremely good frame/backpack pump that is so good it might as well be a track pump... let me know if you ever find one and I will buy it in an instant.
  • I got a light pump that attaches to my bike on eBay for about £15. I think it's called carbOne or something like that. I've already had to fix punctures when out and about, and have only had bike a few weeks.

At home we have a Specialized track pump. I check my pressures before each ride. My tyres say 115psi min and 125 max. I'm still experimenting... Currently trying 90psi and I'm around 52kg.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Track pump for home, portable pump for out and about but tyre pressures dont need to be 145. Some go for around 100-120psi but I usually run 100-110 rear and 80-95 front.

Agree, I've a joe blow for home and a top peak pocket rocket for when I go out. Apparently the pocket rocket will take a tyre to 140 psi, looking at the size of the thing I'm guessing that would hurt....

I check my tyres every week, it's surprising how much they lose
  • The maximum pressure is not the 'recommended' pressure, but it can sometimes be a good place to start.

Basically, the tyre companies can't give a single figure because there isn't one, and they also don't want to be sued, so they will give a fudge figure. There are too many variables: Tyre, tyre size, terrain, type of cycling, desired rider comfort, rider weight, luggage (anything of significant weight)...

Chances are you MAY be able to run the tyre at 145psi, but I wouldn't, unless this bike of yours is a track bike! If there's a rule of thumb, it's that you shouldn't need to go above 120psi, and chances are 100psi will be plenty.

But Sheldon Brown, as with many subjects in cycling, has many good things to say on the matter.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure