First Ride Experience

Charlyfarly
Charlyfarly Posts: 16
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I imagine like quite a few others recently, I went out this morning on my first proper ride on my new bike.

I'm 43 and had been a member of a gym up until 8 months ago, but didn't really get enough use out of the membership, so left. However 3 months a go I joined the Cyclescheme and bought a KHS 500. I took delivery of it about 2 weeks ago, but I quickly realised the standard strap type pedals wouldn't see me through until payday, so I ordered SPD SL 105 pedals to match the rest (mostly) of the bike.

I've been reading all the good stuff on these forums for the last few months and having just returned from my first ride thought I would create an account and change my status from lurker to poster....

I had mapped my first ride on Garmin Connect, although I don't have a gps unit yet and after reading about everyone else's expereinces thought I would try and take it easy, so planned a ride which i thought would take me 50 mins or so, just to get myself into it.

I had practiced unclipping up and down my road a few times in the last couple of days, so thought I was ok, although I knew people had had probs doing it so i was a little wary, anyhow, I kind of totally forgot what I had learned and pushed away from my garage, clipped in and almost instantaneously tipped over to my left and crashed out onto the tarmac, on my drive..... fortunately I live in small cul de sac so dont think anyone saw me, hopefully.

Having learnt my first lesson the hard way, I brushed myself down and did my ride, which worked out at 11.29 miles, in 45:55, which works out at about 14.8mph average speed. I don't think i'm ready for the local club runs quite yet :)

After 8 months or so of inactivity, I found it a little difficult in places and definately need to purchase some padded shorts as my backside is killing me, lol, as well as my arm and shoulder from the clip incident. (My wife doesn't think my body is quite ready for Lycra yet btw) Other than that i've scraped my bike a bit, but I see that more as battle scarring, although lets hope thats my last wipe out for a little while.

I'm going to have a day off tomorrow and then will be back on it on Monday for another run, all the best to all the new cyclists out there, i'm interested to hear any first ride stories as it's a war out there and us noobies need to stick together.

Comments

• Hi, and welcome to bike radar!

Sounds like you've got your first scrape out of the way, so hopefully you'll have many miles of trouble free cycling. I've been reinspired to get back on my bike following the Olympics and TdF success stories. An average speed of 14.8 is fine for a newbie and many cycling clubs will have club runs specifically with average speeds around 15mph as well as the quicker 'chaingang' runs. I always struggle riding on my own as I always try to ride too quickly, running out of steam and ending up with a lower average than I could have achieved. Riding with others is a good way to maintain a reasonable pace and the opportunity to chat can make the miles go quicker.

You've already passed the first and second hurdle (getting on the bike in the first place, and then falling off) so keep it up and you'll soon find it even more enjoyable (and clipping in and out will become second nature)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    Well done on making the best decision ever.

I am also 43, took up cycling in April weighing about 15st, managing about 15 miles initially, upto about 120 miles a week now, just under 14st, feel great and loving every minute of being out there, although I may be throwing the bike over a hedge tomorrow and spitting out the proverbial dummy as I am entered into the Ride With Brad 100k :shock: I believe it is very, very, very, very (u get the picture) hilly.
    Look out in the classifieds tomorrow for all my cycling kit for sale :lol:
  • Welcome and thanks for posting.
    I am glad not to be the only proper Charlie laying on my drive covered in bike :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • It was funny because I had spent the last 3 months more concerned about the bike, routes, gear etc and then within 5 secs I had forgotten about all that and was was only concerned whether any of the neighbours could see this eejit laying in the drive lol.... All behind me now, back on it in the morning, as my legs have recovered.
  • You can't get on with clips and straps but aren't ready for lycra? That's a new one. :wink:

But really, everyone has those; they're frequently referred to as 'clipless moments'. Like any instance of falling off, you have to put it behind you otherwise it will knock your confidence. The same thing often happens when cyclists are new to clips and straps; they aren't used to having their foot held in place and therefore wobble.

I'm not about to recommend that you take your clipless pedals off and replace the originals, but clips and straps worked for top-level racers for many years and are still in use today. They work very well. There are some advantages to clipless of course, but they are also a very good introduction to riding with your feet attached; provided you haven't tightened the strap, it's just a little bit easier to get your foot out because all you have to do is pull it out of the clip; no twisting involved.

Basically, don't worry about it, as that won't help. If it's any consolation, many experienced clipless pedal users (some of whom might post in this thread) will still unclip one foot long in advance, and/or pedal with the heel until they clear the lights (or whatever). You're not alone. :)