Heckler or Zesty ?

yanktanks
yanktanks Posts: 60
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a new bike and have two recomended to me that currently fit into my budget.

the first is a Santa Cruz Heckler in the base D kit with the rock shox sektor forks.

The second is the Lapierre Zesty 314

Can anyone give me any advice on which way to go or throw something else into the mix and really confuse me

Cheers

Martin

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've got a zesty 314 and I'm really pleased with it. Climbs and decends well and is a great l rounder. Never really been after a full sus before but after riding one I had to have it. Would recommend a test ride :-)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Personally i'd go with the zesty.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I had a Zesty and it was brilliant. Looked at SCs as a replacement for my Spicy (looked at a Butcher) but they seemed fairly pricey in comparison?
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    Always pay more for Santa Cruz bikes, I rode a heckler round Coed Y brenin year or two ago, it was alot of fun, it had more character to it than a more off the shelf bike, it descends incredibly well and can handle anything! not so great on the climbs though, was quite a slog. But a fun bike to ride!

Get a test ride if you can!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Wow no one suggested a Canyon yet?!

I ride an old Heckler (2001 100mm version) and love it - single pivot simplicity, bomb proof, versatile and the newer ones more so. You probably arent quite getting the same vfm for the Santa Cruz I guess.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heckler, but I'm biased.

Or a step up for that kind of travel and a full pivot system( :P) - Blur LT

If you're London based, pop out to Pedal & Spoke in Surrey Hills and get a demo of any Santa Cruz bikes.

I think Nirvana Cycles in Westcott do Lapierre and might demo them.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    two fairly different bikes, the heckler is more 'burly' than the zesty. great bike had one for 5 years until stolen. great flexibility in the way you can build it up as the frame will take any abuse you throw had it. Only had a brief demo on a zesty, but it felt very much more xc / light trail than the heckler.

depends what you ride and what you intend to do with it in future. personally i'd go for the heckler - more flexibilty as a platform
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd rather have a Heckler than a Snappierre myself. Every man and his dog has one as well (Lapierre), i'd rather have something a bit different.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I'd rather have a Heckler than a Snappierre myself. Every man and his dog has one as well (Lapierre), i'd rather have something a bit different.
    That's really funny. Did you think of it all on your own?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for the Heckler over the Lappierre. Hecklers are a great ride and last forever, never heard of anyone breaking a heckler.
    I would also consider the Norco Sight and Giant Reign.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Obviously I'm biased, but the Heckler really does live up to its reputation: simple, bombproof, fun, versatile. I've ridden a friend's Zesty and it was ok but didn't feel as stable despite being fashionably lower and slacker.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    That's really funny. Did you think of it all on your own?
    I know right? I'm here all week folks.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Neither, Transition Bandit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Wow no one suggested a Canyon yet?!

I ride an old Heckler (2001 100mm version) and love it - single pivot simplicity, bomb proof, versatile and the newer ones more so. You probably arent quite getting the same vfm for the Santa Cruz I guess.

There's time yet
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    i bought a 2011 heckler frame with rp23 and built it up myself and is a truely awesome bike still not sure if my 140 mm floats are big enough :? but seem fine put 2.4s on it so its more of a beefy trail bike but love it handles everything
    just got back from fort william and rode most of the red all day and it was spot on,so for me its heckler :)