newbie tech questions about bikes, sirrus vs willier bassano

fbech
fbech Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hello, I use to ride a trek 7.3 fx, now I want to upgrade and I choosing between the sirrus pro and wilier bassano

The bassano seems to have a bit of a diffrent frame for 2013, but a local dealer has a 2012 in stock. the 2013 frame seems to be more sporty and also the soldering in frames tubes is different

sirrus and 2013 bassano has the neat soldering I have seen in some bikes, bassano 2012 has that rought soldering like for example the trek FX, my quetion is , does this make any important difference? is there any meaning in this or is just two different styles?

The sirrus has curved seat stays, what´s the benefit of this?

Here you can see the two different soldering

the willier is 7001 double butled, I also looked at BH zphire which is 7001 triple, is there a significant advantage over the double butled

By the way, this the 2012 bassano frame, compared to 2013, which one do you think is more suitable for commuting?

[img][/img]bassano2013.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[img][/img]soldering2012.jpg

[img][/img]will2012.jpg

Best regards

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That's welding, not soldering :wink: Some firms smooth the welds out after they've put them on, it's purely aesthetic, and I assume a tiny bit of a weight saving too.

And do you know what butting is?

It means using different tube thicknesses where different strength is required. So double butted means one thickness at (for example) each end of the tube, but the middle section that has less strain acting on it will be thinner. Triple butting means three different thicknesses. So a triple butted frame might be a little bit lighter and might be technically 'better', but you'll struggle to notice.

The two williers look identical to me!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."