removing the crank from a 2002 specialized enduro fsr

micovwar
micovwar Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi

i have a 2002 specialized enduro fsr in lovely original condition and i love the bike however i dont like the look or the feel of the 3 cogs at the crank... whenever i ride i get little cricks and crack noises from the crank area every so often and even though bearings etc seem fine there is no wobble or grind i suspect it has something to do with changing through the front 3 cogs and i have come to find i dont realy need the biggest and smallest cogs so i have decided i want to remove them and go with a 1x9 single crankset but i was wondering if someone could tell me how to get the whole lot out and whether this is an easy process or should i just take it to my local bike shop?

i dont have much to go on other than it being a shimano deore xt gearset and the pedals have "strongarm 2" printed on them,i would appreciate it greatly if someone could share any info at all.

thanks.

mic.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What mounting of cranks to BB? Square or Octalink?

To remove, undo centre bolt and use a crank puller, remove rings from arm, use single ring bolts (or a slim bash) and refit middle ring, refit cranks, adjsut front mech to act as chain guide or fit one, rmove cables and shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi I don't know wether square or octilink how do I find this out?
    I'm only starting out I've never done anything like a crank befoRe,how much would a shop charge to do this it sounds bit daunting for my level of expertise?

Cheers.

Mic.