New bike

Belmont1884
Belmont1884 Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Read this forum until I was blue in the face, trying to find the best MTB to buy, budget is £500 - £600. This will be my 1st bike in 12 years, buying one to try and get fit and hopefully enjoy a new hobby. I'll be riding the bike on all surfaces.

Narrowed the search down to Voodoo Hoodoo, Rockrider 8.1 2012 and Boardman Comp.

I did view the RR 2011 but those wheels were too white for my liking so decided to wait a few weeks for the new model to come out. New model went on the Decathlon website today and was instantly sold out.

Boardman Comp is outside my price range but with the BH weekend coming up I'm hoping there might be a sale.

Think the Hoodoo was £499 last week with £40 off, new price this week is £529.

Which bike would you go for out of the 3?

I keep debating between the Hoodoo and RR but then wonder if I should pay the extra for the Comp.

If the Comp stays at £649, is it worth the extra £50?

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    undoubtedly the best for value and spec is the RR, but to be fair you have picked what are considered to be the best 3 bikes in that price bracket, best advice, do your best to try them for size, go with what feels right
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget to allow a bit for possible changes to suite you/your usage, tyres/grips/saddle......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Decided that I'd wait until the Radon ZR Team 6 was on the daily product special on Bike Discount. Unfortunately for me it went on the daily product but my size 16" was sold out.

Now they've got the 2013 models out, but downgraded the spec on basically everything. Looks like I might have to pay a bit more out and get the 2012 model of the ZR Team 7.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m52/k1 ... l?od=&ft=1

Does anybody know of a better spec'd bike than the 2012 ZR Team 7 for near enough the same price bracket?
  • This years team 7 is on daily deal and shows 16" in stock http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a58232/zr-team-7-0.html?mfid=52. Very tempted myself although not keen on the white paint, been checking the site daily for the last few weeks and have not seen the black team 7 on offer.

Tried to buy this years team 6 in black (20") the other day but the payment verification failed, need to ring up my bank and find out what the problem is. Probably just nedd to verify that its not fraud as this will be the first time I have ordered anything from Germany, almost £700 with some other bits I tried to order.

The £85 extra for the upgraded spec on the 7.0 is probably a bit of a bargain over the team 6, at least to my untrained eye and is available in your size. For myself I would rather get the 6 in black and put the £85 towards bike related kit. Will be my first proper bike since a teen so need to buy all the gear as well.

Looks like next years team 7 is almost identical to the current team 6, in price and spec. Different brakes and Easton parts instead of Race Face. Next years bikes are available from week 44, so November plus maybe a few weeks depending on demand and shipping etc. Must admit though I really like the lime green paint job on next years team 6 zr-team-6-0.jpg
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Decided that I'd wait until . . .
    What are you riding while you're waiting for the specs to improve, next years model to come out, or someone to invent the perfect bike? If you get one of your three choices you'll have a great bike and have so much fun that you won't be too concerned if model x has slightly better wheels or would have been £15 cheaper. Try them out if you can, and get one!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • i've also been loking at boardman comp £650 or cube attention £679.my budget is £700.any advice.
  • did you say your budget was £797.33 ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62607
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Oh Marone wrote:
    This years team 7 is on daily deal and shows 16" in stock http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a58232/zr-team-7-0.html?mfid=52. Very tempted myself although not keen on the white paint, been checking the site daily for the last few weeks and have not seen the black team 7 on offer.

Tried to buy this years team 6 in black (20") the other day but the payment verification failed, need to ring up my bank and find out what the problem is. Probably just nedd to verify that its not fraud as this will be the first time I have ordered anything from Germany, almost £700 with some other bits I tried to order.

The £85 extra for the upgraded spec on the 7.0 is probably a bit of a bargain over the team 6, at least to my untrained eye and is available in your size. For myself I would rather get the 6 in black and put the £85 towards bike related kit. Will be my first proper bike since a teen so need to buy all the gear as well.

Looks like next years team 7 is almost identical to the current team 6, in price and spec. Different brakes and Easton parts instead of Race Face. Next years bikes are available from week 44, so November plus maybe a few weeks depending on demand and shipping etc. Must admit though I really like the lime green paint job on next years team 6 zr-team-6-0.jpg
    Giraffoto wrote:

I've been checking daily too, finally ordered the 7 at midnight. Their website wouldn't accept the credit card so ended up setting up a PayPal account and paying by credit card that way. Between 4 and 7 days until delivery, can't wait. Requested the suspension to be set up to suit my weight, also asked if they can change the brake levers round for me.

I'm currently sitting on my backside and driving everywhere, haven't had a bike in years. Quit smoking 3 years ago and piled on 4 and half stone, need to start exercising and hopefully the bike will get me back in to shape.

Budget did start at £400 but slowly crept up to £700 :lol:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812

Mmmm... very tempting.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If that really weighs 28lbs I'll show my ar*se! No way!
  • Bartimaeus wrote:

Mmmm... very tempting.

Oi!..I wasn't talking to you! :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic wrote:
    If that really weighs 28lbs I'll show my ar*se! No way!

I hope to god it weighs more than that now :shock:

Trek Session 8