help choosing new bike

jimborugby
jimborugby Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
hi i could do with some help. ive got a cube road bike which is to small so want to get a new bike but dont know what to go for. ive got upto £2000 to spend, if i dont have to spend that much it would be great. im a rugby player and will be using the bike in the week for fitness and sunday mornings so loosen me up after playing on a saturady. can anyone suggest what to go for because there is so many bikes out there im confused.

thank you

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You could take a look at the list of bikes considered for the Cycling+ bike of the Year 2012
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cycling-plus-set-to-reveal-their-bike-of-the-year-33184/

I can't find the final article showing the final order, but I know the Focus Izalco won with the Trek Madone 3.5 in second.

First thing you need to do is decide what sort of riding you want to do. Should it be racey, comfortable or a bit of both?

It's better if you can test ride it for several hours, so who supplies which bike and whether they allow you to test the bike will play a big part in the decision.
  • im thinking a bit of both because i love going really fast and eating up the miles but i am quite heavry at 15 an half stonne.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    My first Madone was purchased after my weight hit 17 stone. No issue and was instrumental in me loving to ride the bike so much I dropped to under 14 stone. Bike and Bontrager Racelite wheels coped admirably with my lardy ass.

3 years on I've just treated myself to a new Madone 5.9. I love the fit, feel and ride and it makes me just want to get out and ride ll the time. Pity work commitments get in the bleedin' way!

Lots to choose from in budget and ideally you need to try for size, feel and fit to find THE one :D

My shortlist would include

Trek Madone 4 series
    Cube Litening
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Specialized Roubaix
    Pinarello Rokh 105

Lot of good feedback on here for the Canyon but Internet purchase only although I have read somewhere there is a UK rep who can get you a bike to try for size. Not sure about that but I'm sure someone else can give more clarity on that.

Have fun finding your bike but get out there and sort it as nothing beats being out on the road. Plus some good bargains available on 2012 bikes which might help keep the budget down or get you more bike for your money.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Something like this will out perform any listed on this thread

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2504
  • thank you for your replys

they dont have that canyon in my size, would it be worth stretching to one of these?? ultimate 9.0 pro or ultimate al 9.0 D12
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Just be clear that it is the rider that outperforms dependant on ability. Not the bike!

As I said in my earlier post the Canyon has good reviews on here and although is good value for money is no better than any bike in the same price band. That's why it's important to try a few bikes out for size to see what feels right for you.

You could search the forum for Canyon threads and look through the your bikes forum for a better idea of opinions on the Canyon range. Both Canyon and Cube give a better spec of components for your money but no good to you if the bike doesn't feel great to ride for you.

Consider a number of bikes and try before you buy if you can.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • thank you for replying. ive been trying to try a few different bikes but everywhere is sold, im guessing im going to have to wait for another month or so for the new range to get in stores