Lower back pain

Sentral
Sentral Posts: 64
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

as I'm increasing the length and regularity of my rides I'm noticing a bit of lower back pain. I'm putting this down to my old (ill-fitting) bike which I'll be replacing as soon as I can, but can anyone give me any tips to help relieve the symptoms?

Any tips would be great

Ben

Comments

• I get this after maybe 50miles plus I ssem to be getting quite a stiff shoulder as well ( although the shoulder problem is possibly related to it never being right after I dislocated it years ago and had to have an operation on it ).
    Got a 100miles to do on Sunday so hoping it won't be too bad, but like you, would welcome any advice to strengthen back, etc
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Raising the handlebars will help.

Basically you want a more relaxed position on the bike. Take a look at:

http://www.rovobikereviews.com/road-bik ... ategories/
    Simon
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Do you do any post-ride stretching? If not, go and see a decent sports physio who can have a look at your current range and movement and suggest some decent stretches. That will help you even after the new bike comes along since your physique will remain the same.
  • It normally starts happening to me towards the end of a ride. I usually ride no handed for a while so I can straighten my back.

Also has the added benefit that it really impresses the Ladies ;)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Its 'core' work folks - strengthening those muscles around your midriff and lower back, which, along with your quads and glutes, generate the muscle power required in cycling. I perform a Pilates routine every few days specifically to develop those areas - any google serach on 'core training' will ellicit the required information. Lower back pain does not necessarily mean an ill-fitting bike set-up. Check that too of course, but the main reason will be a weak(er) core....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    After starting to do stretches and working on my core I have gone form a 10mm spacer under the stem and it being flipped up to a flat stem and it having a 5mm space under it, my back problems arent gone but it is linked to tight ham strings with me pulling my lower back out of sape when I get tired and I lose composure on the bike
  • Hi folks. Raymondo is spot on imo with his suggestions.I also suffer with lower back pain and work on the swiss ball, and exercises like the plank and basically exercises that work the entire TVA all help along with stretches, like Raymondo mentioned get tips on performing stretches off a pyhsio and maybe keep adjusting your position on the bike so your not in the same position for prolonged periods.

good luck.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Lower back pain is often a sign of your saddle being to high. If your leg is almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke then try lowering it 5-10mm at a time until you're comfy.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    +1 for core and tight ham strings/glutes/hip abductors. There are so many tiny muscles that do so much, but just cycling makes them work in one direction (as my physio puts it to me) so need to be stretched the opposite way to avoid developing knee, hip and lower back pain.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.