Handlebars too long

Steve V
Steve V Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Just bought a boardman pro ht, got a bargain second hand, it's not even done 10 miles!

Anywho, finding the bars a smidge long, don't really want to buy any more so contemplating cutting them down, is there a right and wrong way or is it a hacksaw job? Would a pipe cutter work?

TIA.

Steve
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Yes a pipe cutter will work, but be careful.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    It depends on what the bars are made of. Pipe cutter for alloy, hacksaw for carbon...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Just remember that health and safety is critical

sign+2.jpg
  • Steve V
    They're alloy.

I might try em for a few days to see if I get used to them. Feel like I'm riding a big harley!
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    If you want the proper Harley look maybe a set of these would fit the bill :lol:
    Ape_Hanger_Handlebar.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just move your grips and controls around and test before you cut!
  • Steve V
    Took the advice and tried it with controls further down, decided to cut 35mm from each side, the bars were originally 670mm.

Feels a lot better, I did it with a 22m auto pipe cutter, did it very easy with a nice chamfered finish. No need to file.

Thanks chaps.

Can't believe how light this is compared to my old apollo phaze!

Did I just admit to owning an Apollo on an open forum? :shock:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Steve V wrote:
    Did I just admit to owning an Apollo on an open forum? :shock:
    "We all began as something else."
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • DO NOT MOCK THE PHAZE.

great bike.

any more and ill find you :.)
    sight 3 se
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Steve V wrote:
    Took the advice and tried it with controls further down, decided to cut 35mm from each side, the bars were originally 670mm.
    only thing now is, that after you have used it for a few weeks on the trails, there's a good chance your going to want wider bars, trying it for an hour or so, really isn't going to tell you much
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Steve V
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Steve V wrote:
    only thing now is, that after you have used it for a few weeks on the trails, there's a good chance your going to want wider bars, trying it for an hour or so, really isn't going to tell you much

Well I've managed with my other bike with 600mm bars for the last year or so........ :wink:
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    Steve V wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Steve V wrote:

Well I've managed with my other bike with 600mm bars for the last year or so........ :wink:

probably had a longer stem tho. i agree that in time you will regret it. i have the comp bike and want wider bars for trails but maybe your different to me.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • chez_m356
    Steve V wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Steve V wrote:

similar to myself, but then i started using it :wink:
  • Steve V
    One 80 wrote:
    Steve V wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Steve V wrote:

probably had a longer stem tho. i agree that in time you will regret it. i have the comp bike and want wider bars for trails but maybe your different to me.

Sorry to disappoint your crystal ball mate, but the stem is the same length, and the reach is the same.

Been out this afters done 29 and a bit miles down the TPT and I reckon it was a good decision.
  • chez_m356
    Steve V wrote:
    Sorry to disappoint your crystal ball mate, but the stem is the same length, and the reach is the same.

Been out this afters done 29 and a bit miles down the TPT and I reckon it was a good decision.
    :shock: :roll:
  • Steve V
    Awwwww, my first rolley eyes smiley! I'm flattered.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Well the transpennine isnt exactly MTB territory somebody from the commuter forum rode it in 3 days last year on a 20 inch wheel folding shopping bike.

If you get off road proper thats when you might miss those mm we all used to ride with 20 to 24 inch bars years ago and thank god we dont have to now. I dont like anything bigger than 700 mm myself but lots go much wider.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Steve V
    Whilst I appreciate the TPT isn't overly taxing for most folks, I suffer badly with rheumatoid arthritis, so going head first down mental trails is a bit beyond my capabilities.

Surprisingly cycling is very good for my joints, as it's low impact, I can hardly walk two miles but I can ride for 2 hours at a time no problem.

Everything that has been said about longer bars been better for the rough stuff has been taken on board but sadly I probably will never get to that stage.

Yes I could have just got a hybrid, as it's would probably be more suited to the TPT and the canal towpaths that are about my limit, but boys like toys, and I liked the look of the boardman over a hybrid. The shock forks take the vibration away from my wrists and knuckles.

I'm an arsey sod most days due to being in constant pain, so if I've upset anyone, I apologise.

Steve
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like the right decision to me - much better than a hybrid.
    I wouldn't worry about upsetting anyone - they're all knuckle draggers anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    Steve V wrote:
    I'm an arsey sod most days due to being in constant pain, so if I've upset anyone, I apologise.

Steve
    you'll fit in on here just fine then :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Steve V wrote:
    canal towpaths that are about my limit

Right, my turn to be an arsey sod then.
    If your limits are towpaths, that's fine, but what the hell does it have to do with mountain biking, ultimately?
    There's a family & kids section lower down.
    here...
    viewforum.php?f=40032
  • Steve V
    Steve V wrote:
    canal towpaths that are about my limit

Right, my turn to be an arsey sod then.
    If your limits are towpaths, that's fine, but what the hell does it have to do with mountain biking, ultimately?
    There's a family & kids section lower down.
    here...
    viewforum.php?f=40032

Err, because it's a mountain bike and there's no towpath limit section?

I'll bear the family and kids section in mind if I ever get around to taking the family and kids out.

I wanted info on cutting down bars on a mountain bike, that info I got, I don't see why you had to go get yourself involved when it was all sorted.

Thanks for your input, no really. Real friendly forum you guys have here.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You're allowed to be an arsey sod, but not us eh?
    nice.
  • Steve V
    I'm an arsey sod because I'm in constant daily pain, I did apologise, and I meant it

You jumped in being arsey, trying to be cocky and clever, didn't apologise, and thats when you stop being arsey and start becoming an arse-hole.