Coed Y Brenin

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited August 2012 in Routes
Hi Chaps

Me and the boys are having our visit weekend away in Wales this weekend and are going to the above on Saturday - what can we expect, what does everyone recommend? Thinking probably do the beast?

Not 100% sure what to do Sunday yet - back to CYB or do the Marin Trail?

Usual playgrounds are Cannock and Llandegla.

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    The beast includes almost all the red/black trails on that side of the main road.
    If you start around 10, you should be able to do the Beast in the morning and the Tarw in the afternoon to make a big day out, then go to Marin or Penmachno on the way home.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    plenty at coed y brenin to keep you going for 2 days, i'd reccomend penmachno over marin though :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Beast on day one, Tarw and as much of the other stuff as you can be bothered to ride again on day 2 (the start and finish of the Beast make a brilliant wee loop)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bwstokie
    bwstokie Posts: 115
    Had a cracking weekend despite the weather chaps - thanks for the advice!

Did The Beast on day 1, brilliant most of the time but a bit of a dull slog in parts. Bit more natural than what I'm used, didn't seem over prepared, not many jumps but still really liked it.

Did The Marin on day 2, didn't start off great as some trees were down so had to do a bit of hike a bike. A few too many fireroad climbs but worth it for the final singletrack decents - my favourite bit of the weekend!

Back to boring old Cannock and the odd adventure to Llandegla - wish we had something interesting closer to home!

Laters
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    bwstokie wrote:
    Had a cracking weekend despite the weather chaps - thanks for the advice!

Did The Beast on day 1, brilliant most of the time but a bit of a dull slog in parts. Bit more natural than what I'm used, didn't seem over prepared, not many jumps but still really liked it.

Did The Marin on day 2, didn't start off great as some trees were down so had to do a bit of hike a bike. A few too many fireroad climbs but worth it for the final singletrack decents - my favourite bit of the weekend!

Back to boring old Cannock and the odd adventure to Llandegla - wish we had something interesting closer to home!

Laters

I really like the Marin trail and riding up around Gwydyr, lovely views, and the climbs are worth it. That final descent is brilliant too, didn't mind riding back up to do that a again a few more times.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Northwind wrote:
    Beast on day one, Tarw and as much of the other stuff as you can be bothered to ride again on day 2 (the start and finish of the Beast make a brilliant wee loop)

Take it you've done tarw?

We did it in the afternoon after doing mbr in the morning.. Could not believe how dissapointing it was. Started off well, then fireroad up, fireroad down, fireroad up, fireroad down. For what seemed like forever. Then admittedly a good last couple of miles, but the 70% fireroads up & down in the middle just spoiled it. It was so bad, we thought we'd got lost or were going the wrong way, unfortunately we weren't.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I loved it tbh. Though it's a bit like Innerleithen, very bad value- you invest more in the climbs than you seem to get back in the descents. But still i thought it was brilliant, easily up to the best the Beast's got to offer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Angry Bird wrote:
    [
    I really like the Marin trail and riding up around Gwydyr, lovely views, and the climbs are worth it. That final descent is brilliant too, didn't mind riding back up to do that a again a few more times.

i'd quite happily do the first climb and swing a right to do the final descent over and over and miss out all the other bits :lol:

apart from a few nice views i didn't really like the rest of the trail