Tapered steerer - replacing the forks?

Swervin Mervin
Swervin Mervin Posts: 50
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Forgive my ignorance but I have a Boardman 'team' Urban MTB and wouldn't mind a set of decent forks to fit. I've spotted a set of Epicon air forks off a Boardman COMP but in the spec there is no mention of a 'tapered steerer' on the comp but there is on mine.

Is it likely that the forks would be a straight swap?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What forks are on there at the moment? Recon Gold's seem to be std for the Boardman Team.

I thought the team was the higher spec bike than the comp and I would certainly rather have the Recon's over the Epicons.

All current model Boardman HT's have tapered steerers so they would swap but why?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The boardman team urban MTB comes with rigid forks.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure the geo will allow for suspension forks, the current forks aren't travel corrected.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Would like to do the same with my Urban Team at some point too. The existing fork does look quite short for swapping over to me but on the wesite it states the frame geometry is suitable up to 120mm travel forks?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Not sure the geo will allow for suspension forks, the current forks aren't travel corrected.
    ^^This - it's not a mountain bike.
  • oodboo
    Its ‘Urban’ tag comes from its skinny slick tyres and fixed blade fork but it’s otherwise the same as Boardman’s identically priced Team model with a RockShox Recon fork.

Strava
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    is according to this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-11-45603
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    chez_m356 wrote:
    is according to this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-11-45603
    The word "urban" triggered alarm bells for me, and sure enough when I looked for Boardman urban team, I found this...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-08-25799
  • chez_m356
    Forgive my ignorance but I have a Boardman 'team' Urban MTB and wouldn't mind a set of decent forks to fit. I've spotted a set of Epicon air forks off a Boardman COMP but in the spec there is no mention of a 'tapered steerer' on the comp but there is on mine.

Is it likely that the forks would be a straight swap?
    according to the boardman website,the urban has an extra 20mm in length on the headtube than other models,so maybe issues with steerer length
  • chez_m356
    The word "urban" triggered alarm bells for me, and sure enough when I looked for Boardman urban team, I found this...
    any volunteers to take it on a black run :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    chez_m356 wrote:
    any volunteers to take it on a black run :wink:
    Me, ME ME!!! I'll do it! :D
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'd do yourself a favor and get some new Recons or Reba's rather than mess about with s/hand. Recons can be had for 120 and rebas for 225.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Apologies. The model is the HtTeamR not the Urban Team which is the hybrid. The HtTeamR is an mtb with carbon forks. A ridgid mtb may blow most peoples minds now but back when I started riding its all we had!
    To the op. I assume you have the HtTeamR also as you say yours is an mtb. If not I aplologise for derailing your thread slighty... :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I used to ride back when rigids were all we had as well.
    Which means I understand what a bloody stupid thing it is to sell MTBs these days with rigid forks :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oodboo wrote:
    Its ‘Urban’ tag comes from its skinny slick tyres and fixed blade fork but it’s otherwise the same as Boardman’s identically priced Team model with a RockShox Recon fork.
    On paper the same, not the same frame so bad call!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    The reviewers really should've spotted that.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    On paper the same, not the same frame so bad call!

What's different about the frame?
  • Hi Swervin Mervin. I think what he is saying is that if you compare the Team mtb ( with suspension fork) to the Urbam mtb ( with ridgid carbon fork ) the two bikes are identical ( forks aside) apart from that the head tube on the Urban mtb is actually 20 mm longer. On the Bikeradar review though it pretty much says the Urban mtb is exactly the same as the Team but without the suspension forks which is not actually the case.

I am a bit new to all this suspension malarky but I assume the problem is now working out whether ( considering this extra 20 mm) the frame on the urban mtb will accept a suspension fork without It messing up the geometry.

I have seen the ridgid carbon fork on Ebay several times which would imply other people have swapped them for a suspension fork.

I looked to see if I could email Boardman Bikes but I was redirected to Halfords customer services which I have sent a query to today.. Whether they give a definitive answer is another thing.

The confusion everyone is having over which bike it is is down to Halfords, Boardman and Bikeradar all calling the bike by a different name.
    boardman = HtTeamR, halfords = Boardman Urban Mountain Bike Team, BikeRadar = Urban MBT Team

I dont really understand the options r.e. Forks yet but I was wondering if this meant a 100 mm travel fork would work instead. Maybe someone in the know about these things might have some advice to offer? 8)