UK mountain bike hall of fame.

boristhespie
boristhespie Posts: 109
edited August 2012 in MTB general
I note the new inductees and am not surprised, however I do think they missed out a couple of girls who for me were at the centre of female mountain biking before Caroline Alexander. Yes internationally they did little but on the UK scene they were there at the front when the sport became popular on telly.

I'm a bloke but hall of fame you missed Deb Murrel and Sian Roberts. Get it sorted.

Comments

• Wow loads of input. Either I'm too frikkin old or naebody gives a f...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or you have not made your self clear. is there a UK MTB hall of fame?

link?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Didn't even know there was such a thing. Although personally I don't really give a monkey's.
    Hopefully they feed them though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Just Googled it and it's a webpage with some names and black blobs. Do they get a certificate or something?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • "some names"

Sigh!

These were heroes

Long with the Ned overends, Tinker juarez's and Tom Richeys of the words. Seeing Tomac appear with mouth open in his aggressive pose down aome xhite was awesome. Ok baker was no Tomac but Gould was an awesome climber, Craig never gave up and these two girls I mention were at the forefront of womans biking.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but as you have not provided a link to what you are on about or even said who has been included.

how can people comment?
    I'm a bloke but hall of fame you missed Deb Murrel and Sian Roberts. Get it sorted.

and i don think this is for anyone on here. why not direct it to who you have a gripe with.

you made a statement and then another. you did not really invite discussion.

why should these two ladies be included?not that we can do anything about it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    "some names"

Sigh!

These were heroes

Long with the Ned overends, Tinker juarez's and Tom Richeys of the words. Seeing Tomac appear with mouth open in his aggressive pose down aome xhite was awesome. Ok baker was no Tomac but Gould was an awesome climber, Craig never gave up and these two girls I mention were at the forefront of womans biking.
    Yeah, and someone has plastered them on a website and looking for ads - a way to make a bit of dosh from your heroes.
    Bullshit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I heard they were going to start a hall of fame - the downside of it is I either know the people they are inducting (I know most of them, I have even met one of them) or I don't. If I dont I am probably not that bothered.

As an added downside the website is sooooooooooo slow to load I am unlikely to go back there until someone else posts a complaint about someone being included there instead of someone else.

I dont know either of the people you think should be in there - Sian on a quick search appears to be a rider/trail builder and some other stuff. Cool.

I think a strongly worded letter to the people running the site with evidence stating the case for each of those fine ladies should do it. Not sure the clueless plebs on here are going to help much. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lol.

NickLouse I was inviting comment re posting this on a DISCUSSION forum. Never realised I had to invite people to partake. How awfully polite of you mountain bikers types. What what what.

As for link. I assumed people would be aware of this, given it's been extensively covered on this very site and it's mags, and if not, bringing it up would make you interested. Seems not.

Personally I don't give a monkeys about the site simply thought it fun and neccessary to highlight a glaring ommission in my mind and see how other may think re it. Instead...sigh again.

Chill McGill.

Ps. Do you even know who these people are? I'm not asking if you care or not.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I remember BR's news story about it and the organisers/owners spouting some guff about 'in keeping with today's modern cyber-age the hall of fame will only exist on the web'. I ignored it because of that. Woop-di-f'ing-doo another website with some pictures of people who mountainbike(d). I actually know who almost all of them are, and agree they seemed like heroes when I was young and getting into cycling, but the whole project reeks of a half-arsed grab for a bit of advertising money. Build a real 'hall', somewhere important to British mtbing (somewhere like CYB comes to mind, as the first trail-centre), fill it with the hall of famers' old bikes, etc; try make it a proper history of UK mountain-biking.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Hall of Fame at Fort William - couple of old race bikes, some iconic pictures, some stories, Bit of blurb about each inductee I think would be nice - each year after opening you are only talking of adding a couple of people - first year needs a big splash to catch up.

Web based? May as well have a thread on bikeradar inviting people to add people to it!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.