Nobby Nic Evo with Stans

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm converting my new bike to Tubeless & have a Nobby Nic Evo Triple Compound (not tubeless ready)...I've converted both wheels & ran one with a Tubeless Ready Rocket Ron. When I inflated it there was a little bit of porosity but this stopped with the Stans Sealant. I've put the NN on with Soapy Water although it's held pressure there is a lot of soapy bubbles along the seam on the tyre. They are only tiny holes but maybe 10-15 of them. Before I waste Stan's sealant on this how many holes or how porous is it practical to have with these tyres? Or do I need to get Tubeless ready?

Thanks in advance
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    It'll *probably* be fine with some sealant.

I converted a tioga red phoenix which was literally fizzing through the entire sidewall, took a couple of days to completely seal but was fine after that. Didn't use that much sealant either.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be fine.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Agree with above, I got more bubbles than you've described with a Tubeless Ready NN. The Stan's will easily seal them if you follow the shaking/leaving flat instructions properly.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • equinefunk
    Thanks for the advice...I've done it & you're right completely sealed. I found a cheap way of converting my non-tubeless wheels to tubeless. All I did was get the Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Strips trim them so they fit into my wheel then added Stan's. It cost about £20 to convert both wheels. Rather than the £50 for the Stans kit.
  • equinefunk
    I've ran into a bit of a problem...I took my bike with my new Nobby Nics on went down a technical section only for the tyre to pop off on one side completely deflate & throw me off.

What could have been wrong? The tyre's popped into place & seemed concentric...although I have a bit more vibration through the front tyre.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    There's nothing you can do to solve it except put more air in it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or use tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • equinefunk
    cooldad wrote:
    Or use tubes.
    It wouldn't be tubeless then
  • bennett_346
    But you could turn corners on it.
  • equinefunk
    But you could turn corners on it.
    true but what would be the fun in that?
  • bennett_346
    Out of curiosity, what made you go tubeless?
  • equinefunk
    I used to run tubeless on my last bike. I've had loads of pinch flats this year also one of my rides has loads of hawthorns in it. I was constantly getting punctures and they stopped that previously.
  • cooldad
    I'd rather fix the odd puncture than die.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • equinefunk
    cooldad wrote:
    You reckon? I didn't know that was the choice.

I had 3 pinch fat punctures in my rear tyre this going over 30mph on a rutted farm road...I almost crashed then as the tyre instantly deflated & it would have been serious. Inner tubes don't stop instant deflations of tyres.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've had my first puncture in years but only since I went tubeless! It was in the Alps but I was the only one who punctured and it seemed like a pinch flat? Not had a chance to have a proper look (just stuck a DH tube in).
  • cooldad
    equinefunk wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    You reckon? I didn't know that was the choice.

I had 3 pinch fat punctures in my rear tyre this going over 30mph on a rutted farm road...I almost crashed then as the tyre instantly deflated & it would have been serious. Inner tubes don't stop instant deflations of tyres.
    Sounds as if you are running pressures too low - tubed and tubeless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Could try those inner tubes that have sealent in them. My colleague got some for his bike due to frequent punctures. Will add to the weight i guess
  • equinefunk
    Did a bit more work on my tyres yesterday, pumped them up a bit more, realised the Nobby Nic in fact wasn't seated correctly at the front. Was pumping upto about 60psi still not seated. Went to check the tyre only for a huge BANG and it blew off the rim. I was deaf for about a minute afterwards & had ringing in my ears for about an hour. A couple of the neighbours heard the bang & came to see what had happened only to see my sitting there covered in Stans Notube solution. It was a scary experience......turns out my ancient Track Pump's Gauge is out by about 40psi. So it was inflated to over 100psi......I've gone back to tubes. :-)
  • bennett_346
    Sensible really!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    equinefunk wrote:
    All I did was get the Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Strips trim them so they fit into my wheel then added Stan's.

Are the strips wide enough that they stick out beyond the tyre's bead?