How do I know if my Conti tyres are black chilli compound?

balmybaldwin
balmybaldwin Posts: 127
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Having just bought a bike with Continental MK2 tyre on the front, and an X King on the back, is there a way of identifying if they are the new mark2 versions with black chilli compound, or the older slippery suckers (without riding them?)

If it helps, these are on a 2012 Lapierre

If they are the old ones I'll swap them out for something else and stick these on ebay unused.

Also, for going tubeless (UST) is this a good set-up for UK forest trails etc (main riding area will be swinley, pitch hill etc, but will also go off to the welsh trail centres. I'm used to running Panaracer Fire XC Pros

Cheers
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't it printed on the tyre?

Edit - Evidently not - how rubbish, how will people know you know. My Maxxis have Exception in big letters so people know I know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm sure the black chili ones have the big Made in Germany written on the sidewall whereas the shitty cheap compound ones are made in china so don't have it.
  • Written on it is Continental (in orange) MountainKing 2.2 and Tubeless all in white (I notice on wiggle they have an orange outline on the M & K whereas these are solid white) It does say Made in Taiwan on it?
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • bennett_346
    It does say Made in Taiwan on it?
    I'm almost certain it isn't BC then.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    Isn't it printed on the tyre?

big table of possible compounds here: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ing2.shtml

Anything with "protection" or "race sport" is black chilli.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Does any maker stick black chilli (or similar) tyre compunds on as OEM equipment?
  • bennett_346
    I've seen bikes come with Maxxis supertacky but that isn't really an upgraded compound, just different to their Maxxpro 60a.
  • Apologies for dragging up this old thread, but could do with some advice as to whether the RQ 2.2 ProTection tyre I had delivered this morning is a genuine black chili compound tyre.

I have looked on Continental's website for the serial number/code of the tyre I have which should be '0100732'. Now, this number is printed on the packaging the tyre came with, but can't see it on the sidewall of the tyre itself. The only number I can see which looks to be a serial/code is '213872'. It does have the 'Made In Germany' logo printed on the sidewall though.

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but thought I'd ask the question before I fit it.

Cheers
  • Lovely, cheers POAH.