Wheel size ??

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
It's become clear my wireless computer is quite literally miles out, which makes me suspect it's got the wrong size in it, so simple question is, what figures should I be putting in ??

Standard 3.1 Trek btw.

i.e 2024/2027 etc etc ???

It was out tonight by almost 2 miles compared to my gps tracker.

Comments

• Which computer do you have? The manual for mine (Sigma BC1009) has a conversion table for all main wheel sizes...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Put a mark on your tyre and then measure one full revolution along the ground. This distance is what you need to input
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    What's your wheel size?
    Edit: You need 2096 for 700x23
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Remove the front wheel and measure the diameter of it with a tape measure. I find the easiest way to do this is to use electrical tape to attach a steel retracting tape measure to the wheel. In theory it is slightly more accurate to mark the wheel with chalk and then roll the bike with you in the saddle to make two chalk marks and then measure the distance between.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    GSJ wrote:

That's the info I need, cheers
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    GSJ wrote:
    What's your wheel size?
    Possibly, but possibly not. As wirral_paul has said, you need to measure it as it will be depending and rim tolerances, different tyre spec and inflation pressures.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    richh wrote:
    GSJ wrote:
    What's your wheel size?
    Possibly, but possibly not. As wirral_paul has said, you need to measure it as it will be depending and rim tolerances, different tyre spec and inflation pressures.

Well, up to a point, but even if you're looking at 20 mil (and I doubt those factors would come to anything like that) that's only a 1% difference. Would it really make any material difference if the speedo was reading 10.1MPH rather than 10.0? Or a longer ride coming in at 50.5 miles rather than 50? It's still more accurate than most car speedos/odometers.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Measure it with yourself on the bike, makes a difference (albeit a small one)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    My Garmin 500 has automatically worked my size to be 2118.

I assume it does that by using cadence and GPS speed calculations.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    karlth wrote:
    richh wrote:
    GSJ wrote:
    What's your wheel size?

Well, up to a point, but even if you're looking at 20 mil (and I doubt those factors would come to anything like that) that's only a 1% difference. Would it really make any material difference if the speedo was reading 10.1MPH rather than 10.0? Or a longer ride coming in at 50.5 miles rather than 50? It's still more accurate than most car speedos/odometers.
    It would matter to me if I did what I thought was a 100 mile ride that actually ended up being only 99 miles. Yes.

Ok, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but for the sake of two minutes with a piece of chalk there's no reason not to do it properly.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    richh wrote:
    karlth wrote:
    richh wrote:
    GSJ wrote:
    What's your wheel size?

It would matter to me if I did what I thought was a 100 mile ride that actually ended up being only 99 miles. Yes.

Ok, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but for the sake of two minutes with a piece of chalk there's no reason not to do it properly.

Even so, that's assuming an error of 20mm, which I doubt you're actually looking at. There's a perfectly good reason not to "do it properly" and go with a simple calculation - not worth the faff. Besides which, what are the error margins involved with chalk lines anyway? I bet it's a few mm.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    My Garmin 500 has automatically worked my size to be 2118.
    I assume it does that by using cadence and GPS speed calculations.
    No. it takes distance travelled from GPS data and wheel revolutions from the speed sensor part of the GSC10. You will find that it varies a bit due to GPS wander so I would take an average of several checks and then set this as the custom setting. Or measure it as above.