rear gear question

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ferrules, end caps, irrelevant

The cable can however stretch slightly or other settling in occur (like the nipple into the shifter which is what I think YHMG was failing to say) and that needs the cable tension (gear indexing) correctly.
    Er... Huh?

I'll givr you the benefit of the doubt regardig cable "stretch" - it's a very common misconception. But in reality, it's the outer cable settling into the stops and ferrules that causes the issue.
    As for the nipple settling into the shifter though? I'm not convinced. Both are hard surfaces, with no give, meaning the cable is either in place, or it's not.

Just to be clear, what on earth has the ferrule on the end of the cable which is not under tension got to do with it, that was what you claimed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A ferrules are under tension/in compression
  • cooldad wrote:
    Makes no difference. FWIW I do the front first.

nice one il keep that in mind :) the front isnt bothering me that much (only rubs a little on the top ring) but the rear is the priority

on a plus note, i rode into work today to troubleshoot some more, i DO have drive! so can go forward at almost my regular pace.. but every 3 or 4 full strokes it jumps a bit but stays in the same gear. lol picture me giving it beans whilst looking down at my chain waiting for it to jump lol, occasionally forgetting to look where i was going :lol:

the question i have is, WHY does it jump if/when the cable has stretched? does it want to change gear or something, if so why is it only doing it every 3 or 4 pedals stokes :?
  • The Rookie
    A ferrules are under tension/in compression
    Are, you mean the ferrues on the OUTERS not the cable (the bit what is in the middle innit).......brilliant descriptiveness.....yes they will settle as well, but I have had (new) shifters were I had to pull the inner pretty hard to get the nipple to settle in the slot properly, had I not done so that would have moved with time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrules, that's what they're called!
    the shifter/cable end interface you mention doesn't have any give, so you can sort that fitting out first time out just by pulling the cable through.
    Ferrules are a tight fit, however, and require some considerable force to sit in place fully - so much so, that it's never achieved in practice during fitting, so they gradually "settle" with use, which is why gears need a little attention shortly after fitting new ones.
    If you keep the same outers in place, and just replace the inner, you will almost certainly find that they won't need anywhere near as much adjustment done.
  • The Rookie
    So one you can always push into place the other not......hmmm never had the outer ends move myself......

'nearly so much' so it dose need some then.......
  • So one you can always push into place the other not......hmmm never had the outer ends move myself......

Yes, because the cables will also settle into the frame to a degree.
    I assure you, it's the outer ends that are what's moving into place, causing the need for adjustment.
  • Sharpe2002
    Sharpe2002 Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    just spent the hour adjusting the cable tension and indexing the rear to find that my chain is the culprit :evil:

one of the links has some crap in it or is dry as a christmas turkey and isnt straight when going through the jockey wheels, which is where its jumping (actually landing on) the teeth. the chain appears straight at first when not through the gears hence i didnt spot it and why it happens every 3/4 strokes
  • So one you can always push into place the other not......hmmm never had the outer ends move myself......

Yes, because the cables will also settle into the frame to a degree.
    I assure you, it's the outer ends that are what's moving into place, causing the need for adjustment.

as well as the chain thing, the cable was Very slack on the highest gear so needed adjusting