American Pie

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
As some of you may know, official statistics yesterday showed that the population of The United States of America has reached 314,159,265. Yep, that's right American Pi. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pi is infinite, hopefully the same cant be said about the Yanks.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    That stat throws up a few conundrums. I figured this: (Anorak/Geek/Nerd button deployed)
    Two fiths of them are obese and 2 fifths of them are overweight. Lets say the average human weighs 70kg,s. The overweight one's 90kg's and the Obese 125kg's... are you keeping up?
    So, 2 fifths of 314,159,265 is approx 125663706 times 90kg plus 2 fifths at 125kg plus 1 fifth at 70kg etc etc equals

314,159,26.5 tons - odd innit?

But if the average Chinaperson weighs 65kg's, then the difference is 98584073.5 tons.

Now, if the average yank weighs 95kg's, how much fatter have they got to be to restore the balance before the world tilts on its axis? Or conversly, how much thinner do the Chinese need to be ?

Well, according to my spreadsheet, 410kg's which means they are not nearly fat enough. Conversly, the average China man needs to loose 44.3 kg's to restore the balance.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    It's OK the butterflies are ready to counter balance.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    team47b wrote:

Yeh, but surely they don't count, being off the ground most of the time?

*Capt Slog takes the lid off the can of worms and heads rapidly to the door* :wink:

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    Capt Slog wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Yeh, but surely they don't count, being off the ground most of the time?

*Capt Slog takes the lid off the can of worms and heads rapidly to the door* :wink:

If you don't want the worms, i'll feed em to the ducks.

Team47b - is that a reference to Chaos theory by any stretch of the imagination?. If all the Americans jumped all at the same time, would the world spin round quicker ? Or do they have to jump at an angle ? It would have more effect than a butterfly flapping its wings either way.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    hmmm. It was partly about chaos and partly my concern about plate tectonics.

When all the Americans land will all the chinese take off, due to 'cushion' effect in plate tectonics. ie if one land mass sinks another will rise.

But like gravity, it's only a theory :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • tim wand wrote:
    Pi is infinite, hopefully the same cant be said about the Yanks.

Surely you mean Pi is non-reoccurring which hopefully can be said about the Yanks. Either way it is certainly irrational and ...... I'll leave you to make your own observations....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    As some of you may know, official statistics yesterday showed that the population of The United States of America has reached 314,159,265. Yep, that's right American Pi. :D

... coincidentally, that is also our combined weight in tonnage...
  • pinno
    Akirasho wrote:

... coincidentally, that is also our combined weight in tonnage...

We have come full circle...