SPDs to Flats - Shoes and technique

itguy2
itguy2 Posts: 88
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi Everyone

I'm considering the move from SPDs to flats so i can feel more confident about learning new skills like how to manual, bunny hop and jump correctly.

Until now i've ridden with SPDs on and off road but had a nasty fall when messing about on a fire road at Cannock, pulling a long wheelie but went over the back and didn't unclip in time. Very painful back and a total loss of confidence to be able to progress my skills - however i have been XC riding with them on since, so i'm not 'scared' of them as such.

Anyway, i've got some DMR V8s and have just been out for a bit of a road ride and it feels like my foot is always about to slip off them. I was only wearing a pair of merrells that i have for walking (lace up shoes).

So - my questions;

1) If I buy some FiveTens (either the free riders or impact 2 mid/highs) how much better are they than any old normal shoe at making you feel secure?
2) Are the DMR v8s carp and should I invest in superstars if i'm going to give it a proper go?
3 (noddy question :oops: ) How do you put your foot on the pedal? Ball of foot, in the middle where your arch is? Different place for different riding? I was riding with my balls of feet today but it didn't feel right, but thats where my SPDs would have put my foot??

Cheers

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have MG1s and old trainers and I struggle to move my feet if I have weight on them, have used V8s and they were similar, so I have no idea what Merrells are but maybe that's it - you need a flat soft sole.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Walking shoes are crap for riding, get five tens. V8s are also pretty crap. A decent pedal and shoe will make a HUGE difference.
    I also have my foot a little further forward on flats than I would with SPDs.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    As above, walking shoes or even MTB shoes with big treads are rubbish for pinned platform pedals. You want shoes with smaller treats for the pins to dig into. 5.10's, skate shoes (a bit flexy), Teva Links, O'Neals, all seem good.

I have Teva Links and Vault pedals and they feel to stick so much more than SPDs just because you get no float. This can be a bit uncomfortable if you are used to float, but soon get used to it. I switch between them and XT Trail pedals with Spesh Tahoe shoes depending on the riding I'm doing. Having platforms gives you much more confidence in pushing the boundaries when trying stuff out. Also means you are more comfortable with varied terrain when you swap back to SPDs too with new found skills.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Some walking shoes/boots can actually work quite well, but it's unfortunately a case of pot luck. It doesn't even logically follow that one brand in particular are good, I mean, from my experience;
    My ancient Salomon walking boots - totally useless
    My more recent Mamut walking boots - pretty damned good
    My current Salomon boots - actually quite fantastic, but not as much fine control in the ankle as a shoe, obviously.

I generally ride in some tatty old Vans, with the soft waffle tread, with a good pedal, they grip fantastically well.

As for foot position, well, for the most efficient pedalling power, you'll need the ball of your foot on the axle, or thereabouts, just like with SPuDs.
    However, with flats, you can move your feet about to give you a better position to land drops, or to scoop the back wheel and whatever, so during a ride, your feet will (or at least will eventually) move around depending on what you're needing to do. It becomes subconscious after a while.
  • ilovedirt
    I generally ride in some tatty old Vans, with the soft waffle tread, with a good pedal, they grip fantastically well.
    I used to, then I switched to Five Tens, I'd never go back!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    That's what people say, but I use horrible old trainers and one benefit is they don't take a few years to dry out.
    Never had a problem with my feet slipping so ....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    Lol that's true, though i always used to get cold feet in winter with my old vans. My feet slipped off quite a lot as well when i was riding downhill...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    Sealskinz thermal socks are the answer. Nice warm feet whatever it's like.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I ride 5:10 Karvers but used to ride DC shoes - 5:10's stick almost too well to some pedals and great to others - a very sticky pinned pedal you might be more comfortable with a pair of DC's
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • itguy2
    Thanks everyone for all your replies and getting to reply no 10 without the :roll: of the SPD vs Flat thread!!

Hopefully going to look at some five tens today, as in general, they seem to get praise.

Any opinions of the freeriders vs impact 2s or is it just personal preference?

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    A bit late to the feast, but i have V8's and use a cheap flat-soled trainer.

I used to use my walking shoes, but if the tread pattern doesn't line up with the pedal spikes, they won't grip for toffee. That's where the £9 SportsDirect Donnay trainer comes in. They grip great and because they are so cheap, i don't mind getting them covered in cr@p!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Peat wrote:
    A bit late to the feast, but i have V8's and use a cheap flat-soled trainer.

I used to use my walking shoes, but if the tread pattern doesn't line up with the pedal spikes, they won't grip for toffee. That's where the £9 SportsDirect Donnay trainer comes in. They grip great and because they are so cheap, i don't mind getting them covered in cr@p!

The exact combo I use, excellent.

The Donnay trainers are grippier and more supportive than mu old globes I was using. Wouldn't want to wear them down the pub though, a bit clip cloppy. (and covered in mud)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 5.10 freeriders and superstar nano pedals, Ace grip, Have V8 copies on my old bike and they were ok too. Have used a selection of different shoes with varying level of success. Basically flat soled and reasonably stiff is good. Did have a cheap pair of skate shoes and didnt like them. They also wore out very quickly. The 5.10s are bombproof. And smart enough to wear to the pub afterwards if they are not clarted in crap.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • ilovedirt
    itguy2 wrote:
    Any opinions of the freeriders vs impact 2s or is it just personal preference?
    The impacts give your feet more protection, but they look like corrective shoes. I have freeriders and they're great.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have tried old Vans, DCs, Duffs, Shimano Am40s etc but have found my 5:10 freeride shoes to be the best for grip and wear rate on the soles (Shimano ones ripped out very quickly). The 5:10 are very comfy too. I did though slightly begrudge paying £70 for shoes i'm going to get muddy and soaking wet! Worth it in the end though.

As for pedals i used to have DMR V12 mag pedals but found the platforms a bit too small for my feet. I now have the Superstar Nanotechs and they are great as they have a bigger platform.

Ben :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Chain reaction were cheapest for the freeriders, Only negative point I can make is the low ankles allows the odd pine needle to find its way into my shoe
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    used 5:10 freeriders for about 18 months with DMR Vault pedal and they are excellent - stiff enough to get power down, sticky enough to even get a bit of up-stroke on the pedals too, but not as efficient as SPD's - not far off though (I used spd's from 1990 until 2006 before getting flats to improve my technical riding technique)

recently bought some Teva Links when my 5:10's finally fell apart, but wouldn't bother again. Sole no where near as grippy as 5:10, and also too stiff, so they slip off pedals quite easily - had a few scares recently. They would make a great shoe if were SPD though, as the stiffness gives good power output. They are also very comfortable, and very water resistant - just need stealth rubber soles!

My recommendation - 5:10's (freeriders for summer, Impacts for winter) and a big grippy low-profile pedal like Vaults or similar. Teva's for pit shoes.
  • itguy2
    Well, I've got myself a pair of five ten free ride pros, Danny macaskills.

Only ridden up and down my road so far but they do seem far gripper than everything else!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010