Muc-off on matt frame?

lakeland
lakeland Posts: 76
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Are there likely to be any issues using muc-off on my ribble stealth frame?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    lakeland wrote:
    Sorry I can't answer your question about muc-off (although I can't foresee a problem as it's only a de-greaser) but I want to commiserate with you if it's anything like my brothers new matt white Pinarello. The only thing that will get black oily marks off his frame is T-Cut. He's even tried car polish to protect the surface, but it still marks really easily.

Meanwhile my glossy paint job is a breeze to clean (smug smile).
  • lakeland
    Gizmodo wrote:
    lakeland wrote:
    Sorry I can't answer your question about muc-off (although I can't foresee a problem as it's only a de-greaser) but I want to commiserate with you if it's anything like my brothers new matt white Pinarello. The only thing that will get black oily marks off his frame is T-Cut. He's even tried car polish to protect the surface, but it still marks really easily.

Meanwhile my glossy paint job is a breeze to clean (smug smile).

I would be very careful with t-cut as it will have cutting compounds in there, I managed to get the greasy marks (thanks ribble bike builder) off with some paint prep solution. I only work on the bike with rubber gloves to keep the grease off as most of the marks come from fingers! Given how much attention it takes to keep clean, I don't think I'd buy another but it does look swish!

Maybe your brother could look at putting some wax on? Not sure how effective it'd be, might be worth a shot if he'd been polishing it already. I use this long lasting wax on my van and it's fantastic http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/colli ... d_207.html
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - avoid T cut or any form of polish as they'll turn your matt finish gloss. I have a matt black MTB and it's now partly gloss! Not that it helps but I think matt paint finishes are the idea of the devil along with white cork bar tape.

Best bet - strip the frame and have it gloss lacquered. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got matt red on an Izalco ......... Nightmare!
    The best I've got is hot soapy water and then I use a citrus degreaser, it's not perfect but its the best so far.

If someone gave me a matt frame I'd sell it or throw it back at them, f***in nightmare.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There's a few products out on the market specifically designed for matt paint finished on cars and motorbikes. A search through t'internet should find a few products to seal the surface and then as a bike wash.

eg http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/scholl-concepts-no-gloss-spray-wax-sealer-for-matt-paints.php?osCsid=dqh8r73cth2rocjihtrjhg7sk3

Keep us informed anyway - i'm about to strip my winter bike and refinish it in matt black (it is satin at the moment)
  • lakeland
    Interesting! Found what looks like the same stuff but cheaper, maybe it's a smaller bottle, should be fine as 500ml is quite big for a bike anyhow!

http://www.johnswax.co.uk/acatalog/Scho ... ducts.html
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I'm glad I saw this thread as I have been lusting after matt bikes recently...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    lakeland wrote:
    Interesting! Found what looks like the same stuff but cheaper, maybe it's a smaller bottle, should be fine as 500ml is quite big for a bike anyhow!

http://www.johnswax.co.uk/acatalog/Scho ... ducts.html

Cool. Well that looks more like it doesnt it! Have you seen the price of the Swissvax wax? £54 for a small tub!!

The manufacturers website for the Scholl stuff should be helpful

http://www.schollconcepts.com/endconsumer/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=69&lang=en
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Secteur wrote:
    I'm glad I saw this thread as I have been lusting after matt bikes recently...

My frame is partly matt, but it's bead blasted titanium ( :mrgreen: ) so I clean any marks off with an oily rag. COmes up like new.
    So:
    Matt paint = a bugger to keep matt
    Matt bare metal = ace !

:lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Forget tcut or polish, try wd40 and a rag for matt frames :wink:
  • I had this problem with getting oily marks from my matt framed CR1 Comp, LBS said try Juice Lube 'Fork Juice' as a barrier after washing, and it works, buffs up nicely with a pigskin cloth (from halfords, better than a chamois) and makes cleaning the frame much easier, (oh I use Muc Off to clean it btw)
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I was talking to a bloke with a matt white bike the other day whilst out on a ride. He hated it, but said the only thing he'd found to keep it clean was baby wipes
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    nbuuifx wrote:
    I was talking to a bloke with a matt white bike the other day whilst out on a ride. He hated it, but said the only thing he'd found to keep it clean was baby wipes

Which are basically an oily rag. I've bene using baby wipes to clean my bike for years, they clean everything from paint, bare metal or the chain, fantastically.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    brake cleaner will work well at getting oily marks off
    normally sells for 4-5 quid a can
  • lakeland
    I really like the baby wipes idea, I would want to wash with muc-off and rinse with water first to get the road grit off without rubbing the frame, then touch up with baby wipes. I'll give that a go before buying any new products
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    As far as baby wipes are concerned, I have heard it said that they are made to counteract the high ammonia levels on a baby's skin caused by urine. I know that they are pretty effective at cleaning bikes, but something that is ph neutral might be better. What about the make-up removing skin wipes?
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME avoid stuff like Muc Off on anything except oily bits - it's far too agressive. Baby wipes or degreaser wipes you get from DIY stores are just as effective but won't do as much damage. Also Muc Off is really bad for tyres / rubber / elastomers - it causes premature ageing / cracking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've been using GT85 and two rags on mine. Once over to get the worst of the dirt off then spray again and wipe down with a clean rag. Seems to be doing the trick so far. Although agree with others, not sure I'd go matt again!