Funny sized hole through rear hub.

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, looking to get some help with the rear of a pair of wheels I just bought.

Front wheel has a 9mm Dt Swiss skewer in it The rear hub's axle has a strange size hole in it - between 5mm QR and 10mm. It's a DT Swiss hub. It's not QR, because the DT Swiss skewer which came with it and has been used with it, has space to wobble about inside the axle (I mean specifically wobble, not slide - hope that makes sense). It's not 10mm because the 10mm rear skewer from my other bike doesn't fit.

The skewer of the front wheel is what sits in the fork and also tightens the wheel up. The axle of the rear wheel is what sits in the rear dropouts and the skewer tightens it up, so the rear wheel is in a definitive place, rather than wobbling about because the axle is what it's resting on, just the skewer moves about.

Probably a stupid question, but it's not meant to be used with that skewer is it? Because up until now, it's clearly been fine. The skewer provided is still completely straight.
Probably another stupid question, but is it safe to ride on that wheel?
Where would I find a skewer the right size? Given that it's a DT Swiss hub, You'd expect them to make a skewer which fits.

Any help would be appreciated.
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it the RWS axle/skewer? pics if you have them would be good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While it may not be the right size, a skewer only acts in tension to clamp the dropouts onto the locknuts, so as it is it would be no weaker than a conventional we, the we DOESN'T support the wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does the wheel sit in the drop outs by its self?

if yes then you have a normal hub with a qr of some type while the front sounds like a 9mm axle qr. IE thw wheel need the Qr to sit in the drop outs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The skewer of the front wheel is what sits in the fork and also tightens the wheel up. The axle of the rear wheel is what sits in the rear dropouts and the skewer tightens it up, so the rear wheel is in a definitive place, rather than wobbling about because the axle is what it's resting on, just the skewer moves about.

With the bike upside down, the rear wheel will stay in with no skewer, the front would not. The axle of the rear wheel is what the dropouts touch, not the skewer. I thought the only size of QR was 5mm? The next sizes up being 9 and 10mm for front and rear and these are the ones where the skewer is the axle, or the bit which contacts the dropouts.

It does seem like it's rideable and safe, I just don't like the fact that either end of the skewer could move on the outer sides of the dropouts because the axle gives the skewer space to move.

What other sizes of QR are there? Cos as far as I can tell, DT Swiss go straight from 5mm to 9 and 10mm but this is a DT Swiss hub.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is the Skraxle and RWS system, commonly used by DT.

PS most normal skewers I have seen wobble about in the axle, they work under high tension, is not a slide fit.