Clarks skeletal leak

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, I'm having a leaking issue on my clarks skeletal brake...the rubber gasket that sits between the reservoir and the cap. There is a small slit in the cap which the oil manages to squeeze its way out of (squeezing through the rubber gasket) and causes loss of pressure making the brakes useless

........After bleeding they are fine, but once I start pulling the brake lever, the oil starts to bubble and spit out onto the brake handle again. It's not even a lot, not enough to notice unless you have a proper look.
Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Is the gasket damaged? If so then replace it or use some silicone sealant. It could be also fixing bolt fault as they are made of "finest pine wood".
    Clarks brakes are fine when working but quality of rubber and bolts they use is total rubbish.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The hole is there for good reason, the diaphragm between cap and body will be leaking, if you overfill the system it will often leak until it's back to the correct fill level then stop.

You can't replace the diaphragm with silicon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Hmm, on my skeletal no such thing as there was one piece cover with oring. Also as per manual reservoir should be filled full so no overfill (probably rubber ring was giving the extra space required). I checked latest manual and it is different now. Apology if advice was wrong.
  • The hole is there for good reason, the diaphragm between cap and body will be leaking, if you overfill the system it will often leak until it's back to the correct fill level then stop.

You can't replace the diaphragm with silicon.

When I put the gasket back on the oil spurts out a bit, but I expect that seeing as it is a little 'over filled' but when I used the bike a few days ago the brakes were fine to begin with, then after a few minutes I could feel them getting weaker until the point where there was no stopping force at all. At first I thought I just needed to adjust the master cylinder and the brake lever position, so that's what I did, fixing the issue. Lasted a couple hours after that. Then as I started riding again after lunch, then brake did the exact same thing as before, and this time I noticed a few spatters of oil on the handle.

If the issue was because I was overfilling it, surely the pressure wouldn't drop as the excess oil came out?
    Also, after looking at the gasket, it wasn't damaged, but I did dip it in plastidip to give it a little more thickness, but the issue persists. Might it be because there is air in the system?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mab3103 wrote:
    I did dip it in plastidip to give it a little more thickness
    Why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    mab3103 wrote:
    I did dip it in plastidip to give it a little more thickness
    Why?

This guy at a bike shop said it 'might' fix the problem by making the gasket a little thicker. Either way, it doesn't make the problem worse, but it didn't fix it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would only use things designed for use with DOT fluid - it eats things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Plasti dip is nuke proof when it comes to chemicals, so no worries
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The description of your issues doesn't match with what you'd expect for a small weep from the lever reservoir.....sounds like an unrelated issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Does anyone know why my clout 1 is leaking from the resivoir. Is the diaphragm that is damaged or is it the top cap that is damaged. Any help would be brilliant thanks.
    Nick