Garmin vs Sep

blim
blim Posts: 333
edited August 2012 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vanmarcke-leaving-garmin-sharp

Deja vu time. Didn't Garmin drop Thor from the Vuelta last year for exactly the same reason?

At least we might see Sep in the Tour of Britain.

I can understand from a purely business point of view why Vaughters wouldn't want to gift World Tour points to rival teams, but on a purely human level it's a bit petty.
kop van de wedstrijd

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It's sad this happens but this is how the points system works.

It's the same prinicple while a football team is happy to let a player rot in the reserves then have that player loaned to a team in the same league who can positionally out perform them.

surely it better to give the spot to a rider who is expected to be at the team next year. Especially if another rider lacks expirence in GT's. Seems the best oppotunity to blood them (not a doping pun you cycnical bar stuards)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Check the transfer thread as this is transfer news so has been discussed there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JV has moaned constantly about the points system forcing this sort of nonsense on teams.

Also it takes no account of teamwork conributing to a GT victory, for example.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    AG2R seem to have no problem with sending Roche to Vuelta and they are even in a worse condition points wise. In fact, they are sending him to the team below them in the rankings. :roll:
  • rebs
    AG2R are buying the points some elsewhere though. Plus the limited exposure Roche will get is likely to be better then one of the lesser riders AG2R has.

The points system does detract from the ethos of "the best riders for the best races" when everyone is looking and calculating points. A team should be judged on its own sucess they generate.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Is this a points issue, or a rider staying vs rider leaving one? I can't imagine Garmin are struggling this year.

If points were no longer an issue, wouldn't you, as team boss, rather Thomas Dekker got a GT in his legs this year so he'll be stronger next, than ride Vanmarcke who won't be on your team?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The thing that annoys me is that JV doesn't care if he loses a bit of points because of this move. This is all about making and example to show UCI that their system isn't working properly (which is doesn't) and to make his own project, that he keeps talking about, look like the better solution. In the end Sep is the one to pay for it and he doesn't deserve that at all.
  • Can someone tell me what in the way of points Sep would have earned at the Vuelta? He's a pure Classics guy, hardly likely to be picking up points in a GT like the Vuelta. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I dont see a points-related issue here. Its not like The Hog leaving out Fuglsang from the Tour...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    He's going to Sky, so they don't need the points he'll be bringing.
  • andyp wrote:
    He's going to Sky, so they don't need the points he'll be bringing.

Proof to back this up? Wouldnt surprise me, mind, giving Dave B's statement about Sky having been %^&* in the Classics this year
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He's not the only one who thinks that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Vaughters on Twitter saying it is not to do with Points - "blah blah blah - where would Sep score points in the Vuelta anyway?"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Vaughters on Twitter saying it is not to do with Points - "blah blah blah - where would Sep score points in the Vuelta anyway?"

Pwnage.
  • He's not the only one who thinks that.

No, I know, just interested in whether any reliable news has come out. Its very quiet all round on the Sky 2013 roster front bar re-signing Zandio and bringing in Martinelli.
  • rick_chasey
    He's not the only one who thinks that.

No, I know, just interested in whether any reliable news has come out. Its very quiet all round on the Sky 2013 roster front bar re-signing Zandio and bringing in Martinelli.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were offering Cancellara some serious buns.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ddraver wrote:

Pwnage.

Do individuals get points for TTTs?

What/who are Garmin riding for in the Vuelta?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    I'm presuming Hej, assuming he's recovered from Metz.
  • Turfle
    Voigt and Cataldo also strongly linked to Sky. Dombrowski too, but everyone is trying to sign him.

No cobbles riders though that I've seen. I can't see Vanmarcke there, but I don't know why I can't!
  • Jez mon wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Pwnage.

Do individuals get points for TTTs?

What/who are Garmin riding for in the Vuelta?

Talansky's the leader. Bold move on JV's part.
  • Turfle wrote:
    Voigt and Cataldo also strongly linked to Sky. Dombrowski too, but everyone is trying to sign him.

No cobbles riders though that I've seen. I can't see Vanmarcke there, but I don't know why I can't!

A Sep-Stannard-Thomas combo could be interesting next spring...
  • rick_chasey
    Certainly need to work on his peak, unless the early peak was deliberate ala early Gilbert.

You wonder what would do him more favours. An earlier peak to bag a semi-classic .HC, or to peak with the big boys and put in a good show come the Ronde.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sky don't peak remember Rick!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Sky don't peak remember Rick!

Explains why they're sh!t in the one day race then.
  • rebs
    Think sky will be Strong for hte cobbles next year even without new blood. They wernt THAT bad in P-R albeit abit lost as to who to ride for at the end.
  • Turfle
    They were fine, with Flecha injured they just didn't have someone to go with the best at the end. EBH almost did at Flanders.
  • rick_chasey
    Turfle wrote:
    They were fine, with Flecha injured they just didn't have someone to go with the best at the end. EBH almost did at Flanders.

Not even a top 10 in Flanders and I don't remember sky doing much in it.

M-SR was an even bigger write off.
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:

They had EBH, Flecha and Eisel in the main selection over the Kwaremont, then both EBH and Eisel got caught behind the Vansummeren crash up the Paterberg. EBH ruined himself trying to chase back on.

MSR Cav just had a stinker of a day.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Thomas could be one of the big favourites for the cobbled classics - if he prioritises them. It's up to him how his career goes but I think having bagged the gold at London he should be looking to fulfil his considerable potential on the road now.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Turfle wrote:

They were very visible with 50km to go. And then disappeared.

Aside from Flecha, they've got tier 3 riders in the cobbled races.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't Flecha leaving?