Securing your Bike to Insurance Standards

smartn
smartn Posts: 27
edited August 2012 in MTB general
My bikes are kept in a locked shed and are locked to each other with insurance approved locks but I am wondering if this would be adequate if I ever needed to make a claim. I'm thinking of purchasing a shed shackle but was wondering what other people do for bikes that are kept in sheds.

Comments

• Use layers and layers of stuff - you could contact your local crime prevention police officer and get them to do a visit? Ours is free and the tips given are based on experience ;-)

Dial 101 for your local force switchboard and ask for the Crime Prevention Officer.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I built a floorless bike shed which is padlocked and 5 lever locked, my bike I'd then gold standard chained to a gold standard ground anchor set in 3ft x 3ft x 1ft concrete and then cheap cable locked through the wheels to the inner shed frame. I also have an old Raleigh Max in there unlocked that if they want an easy pinch, they can have it
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read your policy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    cooldad wrote:
    Read your policy.

This. Or contact your insurer if you still arent clear.

Some insurers won't insure bikes unless they are stated on your policy, no matter what is securing them to the ground. I tried to claim on my home insurance for bikes stolen from my garage, but was told "if it has pedals, it isn't covered"....so it had to be specified seperately. This is just after being told my policy covers garages, sheds and outbuildings.

Better to check and be sure