Roval wheels - is there a nack to getting tyres on ???

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to refit the tyres (spesh clutch and butcher) to the Roval Traverse AL wheels.. I'm buggered if I can get them on without pinching the tubes, is there a certain nack / something I should be doing?

I've watched the vids, got the beads well in the rim, got some parktools levers but I just struggle so much every time.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you lightly inflated the tubes so they hold themselves out of the pinch?

Soap solution to help the tyres slip over the rim?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Your best bet is to remove the tubes and run them tubeless as they're designed. HTH
  • DodgeT
    Have you lightly inflated the tubes so they hold themselves out of the pinch?

Soap solution to help the tyres slip over the rim?

Tried the semi inflate, also usually end up using silicone spray.
    njee20 wrote:
    Your best bet is to remove the tubes and run them tubeless as they're designed. HTH

Been there (with XT wheels not these) and even more faff than strava :wink: Tubes for me i'm afraid.

I'm thinking I should get the roval's on ebay and get a different set of wheels, something like the superstars on my 456. It is so easy to fit (the same) tyres onto them, don't even use a lever or get a sweat on :)
  • DodgeT
    Got the b4stards on!!! Cable ties, fairy liquid and a lot of swearing..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stops the bead popping out as you work round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Doesn't sound like the best plan. How you going to get it back on in the field if you get a puncture?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Aye if you can't get tyres on at home in the comfort of your garage how are you going to cope in the rain on a muddy trail somewhere? The only hassle with tubeless tyres is a bit of sealant to clean out if you change tyres, and for some a bit of hassle getting them inflated (but it seem you've had that problem anyhow).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    They're designed to be ran tubed or tubeless. I think it's your rims as i've had success using these tubed on DT Swiss rims.
  • DodgeT
    cooldad wrote:
    Stops the bead popping out as you work round.

Exactly, like a helping pair of hands. Used wide ones, then just flick the catch, release and save em.
    Doesn't sound like the best plan. How you going to get it back on in the field if you get a puncture?

Agreed, not the best, but it works. They'd go back on the same way I did them, the ties are in my tool kit.
    nferrar wrote:
    Aye if you can't get tyres on at home in the comfort of your garage how are you going to cope in the rain on a muddy trail somewhere? The only hassle with tubeless tyres is a bit of sealant to clean out if you change tyres, and for some a bit of hassle getting them inflated (but it seem you've had that problem anyhow).

As above, i'll just get even angrier with them if it's raining and they'll fly on :)
    Tried tubeless, not for me.
    They're designed to be ran tubed or tubeless. I think it's your rims as i've had success using these tubed on DT Swiss rims.

I'm thinking this is definately a big part of the problem. I've never had any problems with lot's of tyres / rim combo's, but these roval's seem to be buggers. I tried some conti barons a while back and I thought I was going to have to cut them OFF, let alone the trouble I had getting them on.
    Don't have any problems with the exact same tyres on superstar rims, they fly on.