Shimano 2300's Grinding?

versatile87
versatile87 Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm pretty new to the biking scene. I just picked up the Specialized Tricross after talking to the guy at my bike shop. He said it would be a good all around bike for every-day commuting and some touring that I plan on doing. The Tricross comes equipped with the Shimano 2300s, and I've noticed that there is a significant amount of grinding on the front derailleur when I shift to the higher gears. Is this normal?

I looked into the tech guide that comes from Shimano, and It says that I can press the lever slightly to adjust the position of the front derailleur so that it doesn't come into contact with the chain. This seems like a decent solution, but it's slightly frustrating to have to hold the lever the entire time as I'm pedaling. Does anyone else have any good solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This sounds like a common problem: the chain rubbing against the cage. You need to make sure that it's properly aligned with the chain line as well. This isn't hard to do, but if in doubt take it to your LBS; this is easy stuff and a 5 minute job with a screwdriver.
  • ah awesome. i'll swing by my lbs tomorrow to see if they can fix it up for me. Thanks
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Is it a double or tripple on the front?

If it's a double then when in the small chain ring you can click the derailleur over 1 click which is 1/2 way - I think you can do this on a triple too - but only when the chain is in the middle ring ...

If it's not that then there is usually an adjuster - on mine it is on the downtube - I just unscrew the plastic fitting which tightens the cable.

As it's a new bike then some cable stretch/bedding in is expected and your LBS (where you bought it) is quite likely to do a free "service" after a few weeks use - ask if you can see what they're doing whilst they do it though so you gain a better understanding of your bike ...
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    on this subject should i be able to ride in all 9 of my gears from either ring and expect no rubbing ?
    i have rubbing in both extremities of the cassette.
    i am starting to consider my mech as being out of line as if it has slipped round a little, as surely in big-f small-r it shouldn't rub at all?
  • slowbike
    I can get one extreme or the other not to rub, the other rubs - so I tend to adjust it so the least used gear rubs.
    I've seen some bikes with a lever on the front cable so the rider can adjust it on the go ...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    there is a fine adjuster on the 2300 which is the middle position and what i thought the OP might be referring to. I have a defy 4 compact and i dont think the 2300 system on it is that brilliant if im honest. the big front ring can be a right pig to engage. not sure if im doing it wrong but it didnt come with instructions. fortunately, i dont use the small ring very much these days. any thoughts on this would be appreciated
  • slowbike
    The way I tuned it was so that if I'm in the small ring and biggest cog on the cassette then the front derailleur is just not rubbing ...