How often should I train?

cgamble
cgamble Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I've basically been riding for around 16 days now, riding 87 miles over 9 rides in that time. Now I know that I've got some way to go, but I'm looking to really work on my endurance over the next few months before attempting a time trial. I was just wondering how often you guys recommended I took the road bike out and trained?

I live in Leeds, and so the country lanes are never too far. Is every other day a sensible way to gain the base endurance I crave? I just find the concept of going out for "a light spin" slightly confusing as it sounds fairly similar to what I'm doing now on my 15 mile route! Either way the hills are always going to be there to challenge me, is nearly every day truly too much?

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    depends on your level of fitness, what you want to achieve and how long you have to get there. i certainly wouldnt train every day. about 4 times a week for me but then i am old... rest is important
  • cgamble
    cgamble Posts: 8
    I'd say my potential fitness is pretty high.. I'm 20 years old, and can feel myself having more energy to go further each ride. Though I'm trying not to worry about the speed I'm going at, I'd say its probably around 12-14mph at the moment but thought I'd first tackle endurance! Rest makes sense, it's just I've heard a lot about having slow rides on rest days.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Stop worrying. Ride your bike, increase your long distance ride (about once a week) by no more than ~10% each time, take some time off every now and then. Easy as that.

Oh, it is worth defining yourself some bike targets, the usual ones are 25 miles (in whatever time it takes), 10 miles in 30 mins, 50 miles in 3 hours, that b'stard hill that you can't do, some expensive sportive in 3 months time, etc., and then work towards them.