I bet you all do this

JasonBrooke
JasonBrooke Posts: 36
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I work from home as an IT technician, so I'm driving all over the place. Since I got my bike I find my self thinking the roads that I'm on would be great for a bike ride. Today I was going from Bingley to Ripon and my SatNav took me over the moors towards Ilkley and Otley, it was all up hill and winding country roads and I was thinking, "this would be a real test riding up here".

Then I realised that since I got my bike I've actually been avoiding motorways and busy roads, searching for quieter routes to go riding on.

Am I losing the plot or is this a natural phenomena.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    All people who work in IT are weird
  • Thanks for that lol. I'm not your usual geek. Its just a job, but I swear some of the lads just go home to a cellar and drool over the latest bit of kit or game etc.

I think its because I'm pretty new to biking and looking for new and exciting routes to try......or......maybe I'm just weird after all eh.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Thanks for that lol. I'm not your usual geek. Its just a job, but I swear some of the lads just go home to a cellar and drool over the latest bit of kit or game etc.

Where as we are all perfectly normal dreaming about DI2, Power meters, carbon fibre and Lycra :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    sounds ok to me
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    All people who work in IT are weird

We're normal, sensible and logical. It's everyone else who's weird, irrational, unpredictable and generally bizarre.
  • stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    I don't think about riding them, I DO ride them :)

I know what you mean though, I do exactly the same :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I work from home as an IT technician, so I'm driving all over the place. Since I got my bike I find my self thinking the roads that I'm on would be great for a bike ride. Today I was going from Bingley to Ripon and my SatNav took me over the moors towards Ilkley and Otley, it was all up hill and winding country roads and I was thinking, "this would be a real test riding up here".

Just don't do it - those roads are evil. That said, it was whilst climbing Dacre Bank that I realised that a) I could climb and that b) I actually enjoyed it. So maybe they aren't so bad.

Mind you, I do think your Satnav might be drunk.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I always look for good riding roads and hills. Its only natural!
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    i get a boner when i see a road fit for riding
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    klep wrote:
    i get a boner when i see a road fit for riding

Thank you for sharing. Can I suggest carrying around a picture of a naked [insert gender of preference here] to look at quickly whenever this happens to remind your brain of what should arouse you?
  • cov_bcfc
    cov_bcfc Posts: 21
    Today I was going from Bingley to Ripon and my SatNav took me over the moors towards Ilkley and Otley, it was all up hill and winding country roads and I was thinking, "this would be a real test riding up here".quote]

I know exactly where you mean, I'm from this area! Would be great if it was quiet on the roads! The amount of drivers I've seen on that road driving bad makes me not want to try it out!
  • I rarely cycle the roads I drive on, and rarely drive the roads I cycle on.

For me driving is about getting from A to B, whereas cycling is about the journey and avoiding the traffic - I mostly meander through the country back-lanes on the bike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cov_bcfc wrote:
    I know exactly where you mean, I'm from this area! Would be great if it was quiet on the roads! The amount of drivers I've seen on that road driving bad makes me not want to try it out!

Really? I've covered thousands of miles around there and I can't recall any memorable incidents of bad driving on them and they are reasonably quiet. Infact, the only specific incident I recall was a Volvo that spotted me off a side turning when I'd had a clipless moment and asked if I was OK (to which I said I was fine despite having a very blood stained leg and a hurt knee and 20 miles still to ride :lol: )

Seriously though, no need to scare people off what are excellent riding roads.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I'm going somewhere good I frequently chuck the bike and kit in the car.

The thing that amazes me is that however deserted the lay-by, as soon as I try changing into my bibshorts, a bloody police vehicle appears :shock:
  • cov_bcfc
    cov_bcfc Posts: 21
    Maybe we drive them at different times of the day! But I don't think I'm scaring him off! He has driven the road himself so knows what's like! He can make his own mind up! For me though, the speed of the cars and the relatively thin roads puts me off. Maybe if I was braver it wouldnt be a probelm :lol: Though it would be a good test to cycle on!
  • To be honest, no roads put me off. I drive 50k a year so I'm well aware of seriously bad driving. At the moment I've been waiting till the rush hour traffic has finished and then gone out about 6:30, I'm more disturbed by road surfaces...how bad are our roads!!!!! Some of the newly resurfaced roads are an absolute joy, but I've just come back from a ride and the stretch which is part of the Wakefield Triathlon route from the M1 junction 39 roundabout to Wakefield park has a cycle lane which was that uneven I thought it was going to either puncture my tires or buckle my wheels.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I live right near Snake Pass (about 8 miles) so I don't have to dream, its there. :P
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I do it too, but whilst out on my hybrid!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike