Suggestions for the events page

bomberesque
bomberesque Posts: 1,701
I know it's in Beta so I suppose you're looking for feedback;

First off let me say it's an awesome idea, the way googly maps is linked in is really functional for searching by area. so many sites rely on you knowing which county / province is where, which is no use to me when I'm thinking "I could take the chunnel across, which events are near that?" so well done. Great direction

but
  • I find no way to parse road events from mountain biking events, all are listed as cycling. it is true that "sportive" is pretty obviously a road event but "endurance"? same for CX
  • In the calender view I think it would be clearer to have the event title or town locale in the view "cycling event" is just too vague, especially once you start showing significant amounts of foreign events
  • I know you're building your events calender and clearly with a focus on UK events at the moment but I assume you would like to offere as much coverage as possible. one decent link for Belgian events is http://www.bikers.be (they're a rival mag .. but never fear, they only publish in french and dutch) their events section covers the (literally) hundreds of MTB events that happen in Belgium every month. I'm sure there are similar sites ofr france etc ... maybe a bit of link sharing?
  • Total height gain for MTB events would be useful, the distance covered is not always a good indicator of difficulty .. add height in there and you have a much better picture
  • One piece of data I've seen elsewhere which I liked was "number of participants in the previous year". It's nice to know that an event is popular but equally it can be a warning to those (like Mrs B) who shy away from big busy events

ttfn, keep up the good work :mrgreen:
Everything in moderation ... except beer
Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
... or being punched by it, depending on the day